Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinjuku exchange USD 2011/7/15 12:39
Hello,

Anybody near Shinjuku. Id like to know the current rate for usd they have.

Also any tip about exchange of currency.

In my country the worst rate you get it at the airport. However when I went to Japan I exchange a few usd at Narita thinking it was going to be the worst rate..

Well no, I exchanged at the bank around the corner of my hotel in Shinjuku and got the worst rate ever at Citibank. Then exchanged at an office in Ueno, not sure what it was, post office, maybe not. I cant remember. Maybe just an exchange office. The rate was better than the banks but worse than the airport, which was still kind of bad.

I dont know why the rates are so bad, when you pay something in advance they give less in case it changes, whatever, but in a working day, not holiday the rste should be the real one of the day and for example..
by Hana22 (guest)  

. 2011/7/15 23:17
I have found the best rate is at the Post Office, it is better than the bank and the few private money exchange places in Tokyo.

Were all the transactions you mentioned done on the same day? Remember that the exchange rate changes daily and in some cases can change over the period of the day.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

exchange 2011/7/16 08:37
In my country the worst rate you get it at the airport. However when I went to Japan I exchange a few usd at Narita thinking it was going to be the worst rate..

Narita, surprisingly, usually has very competitive rates for exchanging USD.

Well no, I exchanged at the bank around the corner of my hotel in Shinjuku and got the worst rate ever at Citibank. Then exchanged at an office in Ueno, not sure what it was, post office, maybe not. I cant remember. Maybe just an exchange office. The rate was better than the banks but worse than the airport, which was still kind of bad.

What were the dates and rates, and how did you do the exchanges? Note that some methods add flat transaction fees that can really jack up the cost, especially if you are changing relatively small amounts of money.

I dont know why the rates are so bad, when you pay something in advance they give less in case it changes, whatever,

Not sure what you mean. The rate is determined by the market on the day of exchange.

but in a working day, not holiday the rste should be the real one of the day and for example..

There is no such thing as a holiday or working day rate. Also, you can never exchange at the ideal rate. At the best you can exchange at a rate that is a few percent in the bank's favor. That is how they make their money on the transaction.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread