Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 day itinerary Tokyo/ Kyoto 2011/9/1 00:03
Hi again everyone,
I am back to seek more advice. We have booked for our trip arriving, 14 Nov and departing 27 Nov (night flight), travelling both legs from Narita. We are a family of 2 adults (including a preggie) & 2 gals (4 and 7 yr old),

Our itinerary:

Day 1 (Mon) Arrive 8am Narita, buy Sucia/ NEX to Disney accommodation

Day 2 Disney

Day 3 Disney

Day 4 (Thurs) Tokyo

Day 5 Tokyo

Day 6, Tokyo

Day 7 (Sunday) Hakone, travel by Hakone Free Pass, from Shinjuku station

Day 8 (Mon) Kyoto

Day 9 Kyoto/ Osaka/ Nara

Day 10 Kyoto/ Osaka/ Nara

Day 11 Kyoto/ Osaka/ Nara

Day 12 Kyoto/ Osaka/ Nara

Day 13 Tokyo

Day 14 depart for Narita, use NEX

1. Is the above itinerary the best arrangement? Should we shift the Kyoto leg to the beginning of trip? This seems to be the most cost effective one so far.

2. We are planning to visit Hakone on a Sunday. Will Hakone be very crowded? How else can we shuffle the itinerary

3. On 23 Nov, we will be based in Kyoto. Which place will be less crowded – Osaka/ Nara/ other suggestions, as we understand Kyoto will be very crowded. We are thinking of Osaka, but not sure if it is the best choice.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
by Yvette (guest)  

... 2011/9/1 14:51
Is the above itinerary the best arrangement?

It looks good to me.

Should we shift the Kyoto leg to the beginning of trip? This seems to be the most cost effective one so far.

I recommend to go to Kyoto in the second half, because the autumn colors are likely to be better there in the second half than in the first, although I cannot guarantee it 100%. But I recommend to make hotel reservations now. It is the busiest season of the year in Kyoto and many hotels get booked out weeks or months in advance. This is particularly true for Saturdays, but also for Fridays and November 22nd (the day before the national holiday).

We are planning to visit Hakone on a Sunday. Will Hakone be very crowded?

Yes, it can be expected to be very crowded. You could visit it as a side trip from Tokyo during the week.

On 23 Nov, we will be based in Kyoto. Which place will be less crowded – Osaka/ Nara/ other suggestions, as we understand Kyoto will be very crowded. We are thinking of Osaka, but not sure if it is the best choice.

It depends where in Osaka you intend to go. The aquarium, for example, is likely to be as crowded as Kyoto if not more. But other sights not necessarily. Kyoto, too, while crowded is not terrible, in my opionion. I just recommend to avoid taking any buses, and walk or go for rail bound transportation instead.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thank you! more questions 2011/9/2 15:03
Hi Uji,

thank you for the advice!

SInce we are checking into Disney hotel upon arrival, limousine bus seems more convenient. THere is a current promotion of 1-way ticket with 1 day Tokyo Metro Pass. DO you think it is worth it?

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/discount_ticket/en/index.html

We will only activiate the JR Pass on our way to Kyoto from Hakone leg.

Thank you!
by Yvette (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/2 15:12
The question is difficult to answer, because 2 separate entities(Metro & Toei) run subway lines in Tokyo and the pass is valid for Metro only and you haven't shown where in Tokyo you go yet.

Generally speaking, the pass pays off with 4 Metro rides in a day.
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2011/9/2 16:22
Hi V,

Thank you for the kind advice!

We have not decided the itinerary for each city, but just trying to lock in the overall schedule so that we can proceed to book accommodation.

Better to depart from 2011/9/2 21:01
Is it better to head to Yokohama from Kyoto to spend our last night, and depart for Narita via NEX the next day? As compared to travelling to either Kyoto with last night at Tokyo, or heading straight to Nartia from Kyoto on the last day?

The Yokohama station seems to be more accessible via Shinkansen to get to NEX, as compared to Tokyo or Shinagawa station.

Not sure if I got it right...

Kyoto to Narita 2011/9/3 01:20
Is it better to head to Yokohama from Kyoto to spend our last night, and depart for Narita via NEX the next day? As compared to travelling to either Kyoto with last night at Tokyo, or heading straight to Nartia from Kyoto on the last day?

The Yokohama station seems to be more accessible via Shinkansen to get to NEX, as compared to Tokyo or Shinagawa station.

No, SHINAGAWA will be the best place to get the NEX to NRT. All NEX trains go through Shinagawa. Not all NEX trains go to Yokohama.
Go back to Tokyo (Shinagawa) on Day 13. Stay at Shinagawa. The Prince and Toyoko Inn are just across the street from the station.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Kyoto to Narita 2011/9/3 01:23

No, SHINAGAWA will be the best place to get the NEX to NRT. All NEX trains go through Shinagawa. Not all NEX trains go to Yokohama.
Go back to Tokyo (Shinagawa) on Day 13. Stay at Shinagawa. The Prince, Toyoko Inn an d other hotels are just across the street from Shinagawa station.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/3 08:09
Yvette,

Your guess is not right. Tokyo Shinkansen station is also NEX station. So is Shinagawa.

But Yokohama NEX station is not Shinkansen station. Shinkansen stops at Shin-Yokohama station, 15 mins local train ride from Yokohama.

It might be good idea to spend the last night in Yokohama as you can take the direct nex to NRT from Yokohama.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2360.html
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

Is this better? 2011/9/3 12:49
Thanks for all the advice!!

Am totally confused trying to put together an itinerary that maximize the JR pass, less cost and inconvenience. Don't fancy lugging luggage around with 2 kids and heavily pregnant.

Anyway, may I ask for some advice if the below is better? This will save us having to spend last night at Tokyo/ yokohama etc and also visit Hakone on weekday. Only problem is Disney on Friday/ Sat.

D1 Tokyo
Day 2 Tokyo
Day 3 Tokyo
Day 4 Tokyo
Day 5 head to Hakone ( Activate JR pass)
Day 6 head to Kyoto from
Day 7 to 10 Kyoto ( with side trips to Osaka etc)
Day 11 to 13 Disney 
Day 14 head to Narita from Disney with limo bus

Thanks again for all the generous help and advice !

reply to this thread