Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Kyoto during Typhoon Talas 2011/9/2 17:52
Hello!

So I, maybe stupidly, am doing a weekend trip to Kyoto starting tomorrow (Saturday, Sept. 3rd) despite the inclement weather forecast with Tropical Storm/Typhoon Talas in the Kansai region. Under normal circumstances I would obviously not go and stay home but I unfortunately have prepaid for my hotel and can't cancel without losing out on the entire room fee. So I was wondering if the temples will be closed, if I decide to be brave/stupid enough to visit one. I do have a number of "indoor" sightseeing activities lined up but just wanted to see what folks reactions are.

Thanks in advance,
Liz
by ScorpioEL  

... 2011/9/2 19:01
You do have great timing as the is the closet a typhoon has/will/expected to come to Kyoto is quite some time.

The current forecast for tomorrow is strong (storm force) winds and rain (–•—‰J).

That said, I don't think you have to cancel your trip. At the worst, you spend it in the hotel.

Kyoto city has a funny way of avoiding disaster of all sorts and based on my experience it's never as bad as the forecasts.
(Now, if you come and get blown away, don't blame me!)
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

RE: your question 2011/9/3 10:56
You had better avoid a hill / mountain and a swollen river. Of course you should give up sea events and seaside events if you have any.

City of Kyoto is already within the storm warning area. You have to be careful of possible gust and downpour.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/111224d.html
(UTC + 9 hours = JST;
12 UTC = 21 JST, 04/15 UTC = 05/00 JST.)

This one is called "Taifuu juuni-gou" (Typhoon No.12). Among forecasts and news articles in Japanese, there is almost no case where international naming is applied, I suppose.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Safe and Sound 2011/9/3 19:04
Thanks everyone I was very lucky in being able to get out of my hotel booking without any penalties! So I am safely cooped up in my apartment in Kobe.
by ScorpioEL (guest) rate this post as useful

Not so lucky 2011/9/7 10:54
Hi guys, I'm not so lucky. I'll be in Kyoto on the 10th Sep, for one day only, where I was planning to cram as much sightseeing I can handle in one day. So based on your advice, depending on the weather on the actual day, I suppose I may have to avoid hilly areas and river sides and I should be safe. Sorry for asking a silly question, but do the typhoons in Kyoto typically hit the city center, or the areas surrounding the JR Kyoto station?
by feef (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/7 11:46
You will have big troubles finding any traces of the recent typhoon in Kyoto. And there is no reason to avoid hilly areas and river sides.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyoto generally safe 2011/9/7 13:13
feef: Hi guys, I'm not so lucky.

You are lucky. No major damage in Kyoto Prefecture due to the typhoon has been reported. One thing I have found is that in Nijo Castle plaster of the wall to the north of its main entrance partly came off.

As for now, no typhoon is approaching Kinki [Kasai] region.

It seems humid air was hindered by mountains to the south of Kyoto, which caused downfalls. Reportedly, 35 of the 49 confirmed fatal casualties are of Wakayama Prefecture.

do the typhoons in Kyoto typically hit the city center, or the areas surrounding the JR Kyoto station?

Maybe in the statistics are found some cases in which a typhoon seriously affected the city center, but I don't think of a recent one.

What is noticeable that even places which appear to be off the course of a typhoon may be affected. A course of a typhoon shown in weather news is the route of its center.
This time the typhoon Talas was huge with "eye" of about 200 km in diameter. It affected some areas in southern Kinki while its center passed over Shikoku region, Okayama Prefecture and Tottori Prefecture.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

No need to worry... 2011/9/7 16:51
Hi feef,

You should totally be fine visiting Kyoto on the 10th. My husband and I are actually thinking about going to Kyoto this weekend since we had to cancel last weekend due to the typhoon.

Hope you enjoy your time in Kyoto,
Liz
by ScorpioEL rate this post as useful

Whenit will be over 2011/9/8 01:17
Some says two day for the sweep, do anyone have information how long the wind and rain last normally surrounding Kyoto?

I plan to visit between 16/09 and 22/09.
by Rog (guest) rate this post as useful

Relax 2011/9/8 02:59
Rog, typhoons come and go in one area within a couple of days, sometime only one day.
Although the strong rain can bring flash floods and landslides on hills, a typhoon is not a tornado.

I have landed in Osaka in big gales of wind and rain as the typhoon was fast approaching. The following day the rain was very heavy (so we went to all the underground malls by subway) then the day after it was gone.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/8 07:52
Some says two day for the sweep, do anyone have information how long the wind and rain last normally surrounding Kyoto?

The typhoon has long gone! It is wonderful weather today. Typhoons typically take 1-2 days to pass over an area. Typhoon 12 was special because it moved extremely slow, which caused much more rain than usual. And all the water caused rivers to become destructive and landslides to occur.

The city of Kyoto received a lot of rain, but there was no damage.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread