Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiso Valley & Takayama 2011/9/3 04:05
We plan to Japan in mid Nov this year. We are JR pass holder. We have 1 day yet to planned where to go. I wonder If we go to Takayama old town, can I skip Kiso Valley? Are they having the same environment (I mean post town/old town) and feel?

If yes, I might skip Kiso Vlley. Shall anyone recommend a day trip places (scenic place but not commercial and shrine) to go by using JR pass as we want to fully utilize it. Thanks
by CHIEW  

... 2011/9/3 10:44
I wonder If we go to Takayama old town, can I skip Kiso Valley? Are they having the same environment (I mean post town/old town) and feel?

The towns in the Kiso Valley are much smaller and more rural than Takayama. They have a similar feel in that they have rows of old buildings. But in my opinion the similarities end there. Takayama is a former merchant town, while the Kiso towns are former post towns. Accordingly, the historic sights are distinctly different. But if you are not too much into history, you might not care too much about these differences and they might seem the very similar.

If yes, I might skip Kiso Vlley. Shall anyone recommend a day trip places (scenic place but not commercial and shrine) to go by using JR pass as we want to fully utilize it.

A day trip From where? Nagoya? Tokyo? Kyoto? Somewhere else?
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kiso Valley & Takayama 2011/9/4 00:36
Thanks Uji, below is our itineary:-

Day 1- tokyo
Day 2- Nikko
Day 3- Nikko
Day 4- Takayama
Day 5- Shirawagaka go
Day 6- Kyoto
Day 7- Kyoto, Nara
Day 8- ??
Day 9- Hakone
Day 10- Tokyo

a) Kindly advice whether my plan is workable?
b) Is it too tight?
c) Is the colorful autumn still sustainable in NIKKO at the mid to end Nov?
d) Pleses advice the nice scenary and attractive place(no commercial, historic, Shrine and castle as these are already in our other days plan) in Day 8.

Thanks!!
by CHIEW rate this post as useful

Kiso Valley and Takayama 2011/9/4 01:07
Nikko to Takayama may be quite a trip for a day.
I believe you have to go back to Tokyo and take a bus (from Shinjuku Station) or take a train to Nagoya, then to Takayama.

You may want to revise your schedule this way:
Tokyo
Kyoto
Kyoto/Nara
Takayama
Takayama/Shirakawa-go (day trip by bus) - see Note
Matsumoto (in place of Hakone)
Tokyo
Nikko (day trip)
Tokyo
Tokyo

Note: Unless you want to stay overnight in Shirakawa-go, you can stay in Takayama and take day trip to Shirakawa-go.
by Mikey (guest) rate this post as useful

Tokyo 2011/9/4 01:24
Nikko has deep meaning for Japanese, but in my opinion, for the casual foreign tourist there is much more to see in Kamakura. It is easier and faster to go there so you can see lots of things in one day.
Use that extra day in Tokyo. It's much more than a big city. Explore some old areas around Nippori, Sendagi and Nezu. Or if you like museums see the spectacular Edo Museum
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Kiso Valley and Takayama 2011/9/4 01:54
Thanks both Mikey and Dick!! I have few more question as below. Sorry to asking so many question as this is the 1st time we go to Japan.
a) For Nikko if we buy All Nikko Pass to go to both Okunikko and Central Nikko Town, is it sufficient time to do in a day trip? b) Is it worth to buy All Nikko Pass to cover both area just in A day? Morever we are JR Pass Holder, if buy All Nikko Pass it seeem double coverage of round trip from Japan to Nikko.

3) Based on the itineary, please advice where should we have a public bath hot spring (female and male separated) with facing nice and beautiful scenary?

Thanks again!!
by CHIEW rate this post as useful

Bath 2011/9/4 02:30
This is not a public bath, it is a modern ryokan with a view of the Pacific Ocean. It's just under 2 hours by express train from Tokyo station.
http://www.japan-ryokan.net/kamogawakan/en/
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Kiso Valley and Takayama 2011/9/4 03:50
If you go to Matsumoto, there are many public onsen places.
http://welcome.city.matsumoto.nagano.jp/contents04+index.htm

One of the places I recommend in Takayama is Minshuku Sosuke. http://www.irori-sosuke.com/english/index.html

by Mikey (guest) rate this post as useful

Nikko passes 2011/9/4 08:18
CHIEW - I am also planning a trip to Nikko - have you read the pages on this website that explain the various passes that can be used there? If you have a JR pass, then you don't need to buy the World Heritage or All Nikko Pass - there are two day bus passes which look like they are less expensive than a round trip fare if you are going to Yumoto or Lake Chuzenji.
Enjoy!
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/4 08:38
a) Kindly advice whether my plan is workable?
b) Is it too tight?

As mentioned by Mikey, the trip from Nikko to Takayama will be a very long one. About 6-7 hours.

Is the colorful autumn still sustainable in NIKKO at the mid to end Nov?

In mid November there will probably be some colors left in the town of Nikko, but late November is usually too late. Also, the town of Nikko (as opposed to Oku-nikko higher up from the town) is generally not an outstanding spot to see autumn colors. But colors will be gone in Oku-nikko by mid November.

Also, if you visit Shirakawago, the best route is: Takayama - (bus) - Shirakawago - (bus) - Kanazawa - (train) - Kyoto.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread