Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Luggage Size 2011/9/3 14:34
Hi, i am planning to travel in 5-15 January 2012 in Japan. Considering i will travel a lot by bus, train and subway, is backpack 60L wheeled is not too big to travel with?
by Nilotpala  

Smaller is better, IMO 2011/9/3 16:33
I would recommend to use the smallest suitcase you could get away with. When I get back home from travel, I usually realize that I have hardly used quite a lot of the stuff that I hauled around half of the world. Hair-dryers, towels, etc. are provided by hotels. I found it useful to have shirts and underwear laundered at a hotel so I don't need to carry clothing around for two or three weeks.

On the other hand, I see plenty of people wheel enormous suitcases around and get on trains and subways with them, so it is certainly common. When you mentioned buses, are you talking about highway buses, or the more local type? The latter would make large suitcases undesirable for you and fellow passengers.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/3 17:36
I agree that larger luggage on local buses can be a hassle. As mentioned, there should not be problems with trains and subways.

An alternative is to use taxis. You can travel to the train station closest to where you are planning to stay, then catch a taxi or walk to your accommodation.
by Taiakun rate this post as useful

Probably Okay 2011/9/3 20:53
It depends on the dimensions, but 60L doesn't sound too bad to me. In comparison, I have a 45L (unwheeled) backpack and a 90L wheeled duffle. The duffle is definitely too big to travel around with (I make strategic use of luggage delivery service) but the 45L is smaller than really necessary. (I routinely use it plus a medium-large tote bag and have never had a problem.)

If your backpack is sized to qualify as carry-on for an airplane, you won't have any trouble on most trains. You might occasionally have a sticky situation on a city bus or on rush-hour subways.

If your backpack is stuffed to the gills and you additionally carry another sizable piece such as a large tote bag, you will be pushing your luck at times.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread