Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need reserved seats on 1 Jan 2012? 2011/9/5 18:04
Hi,

We will be departing from Kyoto on 1 or 2 Jan 2012 which is the peak period.

Do we need to get reserved seats on the JR Haruka limited express to Kansai Airport? We are hoping to use the 1-day JR West Pass to save costs but worried about being stranded.

How early should we book the train back to the airport?

Thanks!!
Junie
by Junieneko  

... 2011/9/5 18:54
Do we need to get reserved seats on the JR Haruka limited express to Kansai Airport?

No, the Haruka limited express never requires a seat reservations, because it carries several cars with non-reserved seating. But I recommend to make seat reservations for convenience. I don't think that the Haruka will be overly crowded in the direction of Kansai Airport on January 1 and 2, because most people who wanted to travel overseas have left Japan before the New Year already. So, I think you should be able to make seat reservations once you arrive in Japan.

We are hoping to use the 1-day JR West Pass to save costs but worried about being stranded.

In that case you cannot use reserved seats! The JR West Pass is only valid on non-reserved seats on the Haruka.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2011/9/5 23:05
Hi Uji,

Thanks! Just the assurance we need. In this case, we will probably buy the 1-day JR West Pass and save some $$$ :)

Happy Junie Neko.
by Junieneko rate this post as useful

I did that run last new years day... 2011/9/6 04:57
first I took the Thunderbird back from Kanazawa to Kyoto, that was very difficult, packed and hard to get reserved seats even 2 days out. the Haruka much less so, though it was probably 3/4 full by the time we got to Kansai in the reserved carriage, and we had no trouble with it at all, we booked seats immediately before we left
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread