Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

November 2011 including Shimanami Kaido 2011/9/6 06:57
We went to Japan last year during November for two weeks and had a great holiday so we are planning on returning to Japan again at the same time this year and have a few questions about our proposed itinerary.

We have been to Japan a few times before and obviously like a relatively fast pace!

Thu Nov 17 Arrive 6:20pm, 1 day JR West pass. Kansai Airport to Kyoto 18:46/20:02 (or +30 min). Possibly do one night illumination in Kyoto if time permits. Overnight Kyoto/Osaka

Fri Nov 18 (Day 1 of 7-day JR Pass) Day in Kyoto, late afternoon train to Tokyo. Dinner in Shinjuku. Overnight Tokyo.

Sat Nov 19 Tokyo to Hakodate 6:28/12:22. Afternoon Hakodate. Afternoon/sunset Mt Hakodate. Dinner Sushi Restaurant near Hakodate station. Overnight Hakodate

Sun Nov 20 Morning Markets Hakodate, Hakodate to Hachinohe 10:17/12:56, lunch in Hachinohe, Hachinohe to Tokyo 16:06/19:24 dinner/evening in Tokyo. Overnight Tokyo

Mon Nov 21 Morning Kappabashi Dori? Shosenkyo Gorge? Day trip 90 mins each way from Shinjuku. Dinner Tokyo, Sunrise Seto night train private berth to Takamatsu 22:00/07:27

Tue Nov 22 Ferry Takamatsu to Shodoshima, either Uchinomi Ferry from Takamatsu to Kusakabe Port 45 min 1140yen or Ferry to Tonosho, bus to Kankakei Gorge, ropeway/cablecar. Ferry to Takamatsu. Takamatsu to Matsuyama 15:43/18:25 (or +60min). Overnight Matsuyama

Wed Nov 23 Morning Matsuyama castle, then Matsuyama - Imabari 11:24/11:59 or 12:19/12:56, hire bicycles and start Shimanami Kaido. Overnight island half way (Ikuchijima?).

Thu Nov 24 (Last day of 7-day JR Pass) Cycle last half of Shimanami Kaido, arrive Onomichi afternoon. Onomichi to Kyoto 15:59/18:04. Night Illumination in Kyoto. Overnight Osaka.

Fri Nov 25 Mino Park (30 min north of Osaka) and Kyoto. Night Illuminations Kyoto, Kiyomizudera/Kodaiji

Sat Nov 26 1 day JR West pass. Kyoto area during day, Kyoto to Kansai Airport 17:15/18:36 flight home at 8:50pm

I have a few questions:-

1) Nov 20, we thought it would be useful to stop somewhere along the way back to Tokyo, and have lunch and a short wander. Any suggestions other than Hachinohe?

2) Nov 21, Is Shosenkyo Gorge worth a visit? I assume we should get an early morning start out to Shosenkyo and then do Kappabashi in the afternoon?

3) Nov 21, How easy will it be to book a private berth on the Sunrise Seto? Is there anywhere on the web I can check availability in the lead up to our arrival?

4) Nov 22, Is my timing ok to get to Kankakei Gorge and then on to Matsuyama?

5) Nov 23, any suggestions on places to stay half way along the Shimanami Kaido, or even which island to stay at? Probably mid-range budget and would be nice if it had a private bathroom. Open to suggestions though!

I realise the side trip to Hakodate takes a lot of time, but we enjoyed our last visit there on the way to the Snow Festival a couple of years ago so would like to revisit it again! Obviously we've seen Kyoto/Tokyo numerous times in the past so we haven't allocated much time for them, except for Kyoto for the Autumn colours again of course!

Thanks if you got this far as it is probably a lengthy post, but happy to hear any other tips/suggestions!
by GC3  

... 2011/9/6 10:47
Nov 20, we thought it would be useful to stop somewhere along the way back to Tokyo, and have lunch and a short wander. Any suggestions other than Hachinohe?

Morioka is famous for several types of noodle dishes, and has some minor sights of interest.

Nov 21, Is Shosenkyo Gorge worth a visit?

I think so. I enjoyed it when I went there. But it can be very crowded and is touristy.

Nov 21, How easy will it be to book a private berth on the Sunrise Seto? Is there anywhere on the web I can check availability in the lead up to our arrival?

I am afraid there is no such tool. Cyberstation does not give information on the Sunrise trains:
http://www.jr.cyberstation.ne.jp/

Nov 22, Is my timing ok to get to Kankakei Gorge and then on to Matsuyama?

Be warned that bus service between Kusakabe and Kankakei is infrequent. This is the current timetable:
http://www.shodoshima-olive-bus.com/dia/dia_kankake.pdf

I recommend to study the bus and ferry timetables well.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/6 11:01
Thanks for the prompt reply Uji!

Morioka is famous for several types of noodle dishes, and has some minor sights of interest.

Cool, we might switch to Morioka then.

I think so. I enjoyed it when I went there. But it can be very crowded and is touristy.

I assume it will be alright on a weekday? I think we'll include Shosenkyo in the morning then.

I am afraid there is no such tool. Cyberstation does not give information on the Sunrise trains:
http://www.jr.cyberstation.ne.jp/

No worries, I will try and book as soon as we arrive in Japan and see what they say.

Be warned that bus service between Kusakabe and Kankakei is infrequent. This is the current timetable:
http://www.shodoshima-olive-bus.com/dia/dia_kankake.pdf

Thanks for the link, I'll keep an eye on it and make sure we take it with us and try and make sure we get our timings correct on the day!

by GC3 rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/6 11:31
Just to be clear: I am not saying that I recommend Morioka over Hachinohe. Personally, a fresh seafood lunch in Hachinohe sounds more tempting. Morkioka would also delay your lunch by another 30 minutes. But if you are a noodle fan, Morioka might be interesting. Wanko soba noodles make for a particularly memorable experience.

I assume it will be alright on a weekday?

It is definitely going to be better than on a weekend, but even weekdays can be pretty busy. Just don't expect to be alone with the mountain river and autumn leaves.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread