Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

itinerary question 2011/9/8 21:57
My itinerary is as follows,

Day1 -arrive in osaka(night kyoto)
Day2-Kyoto
Day3-Kyoto
Day4-Kyoto
Day5-Nara. Leave Nara, reach Koyasan at around 8:30pm
Day6-Koyasan.Leave Koyasan, reach Hiroshima at 10pm
Day7-Hiroshima/Miyajima
Day8-Hiroshima, leave for Himeji reach at around 1pm.Leave himeji for Takayama
Day9-Takayama
Day10-Takayama,
Day11-Tokyo
Day12-Tokyo
Day13-Nikko
Day14-Hakune
Day15-Kamakura
Day16-Osaka and depart

My question is will the temple lodging in koyasan be open for checkin at around 9pm
The other question is, will 3hrs be sufficient for Himeji

I understand that the schedule is a bit tight,but am I being too optimistic.

Love to hear your comments...thanks

by tk (guest)  

... 2011/9/8 22:41
My question is will the temple lodging in koyasan be open for checkin at around 9pm

I think most temples don't close their gates before 9pm. But you will miss dinner which is typically served at 6pm. I strongly recommend to organize your schedule so that you will arrive at your temple by 5pm.

The other question is, will 3hrs be sufficient for Himeji

It can be done if you proceed at a quick pace. But the average tourist would probably appreciate an additional hour. At least obe hour is taken to get there and back.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Suggestion of rearrangement 2011/9/9 03:27
I understand that the schedule is a bit tight

Yes. Your itinerary looks tight especially from the following two points.
: It is over 3 + 1/2 hours to get from Koyasan to Hiroshima.
: It is about 6 hours or more to get from Miyajima to Takayama, so it sounds hectic to stop by Himeji on the way.

I tried to rearrange sites you will reach in the first half, as is shown below, so that you will only once have to spend over 3 + 1/2 hours just to move from one to another.

will 3hrs be sufficient for Himeji

I think 3 hours can be sufficient only under certain conditions.
: Himeji Castle will not be crowded.
: You are a good walker. (On the way between the entrance and the dungeon, there are steep slopes and narrow roads.)
: You will visit nothing other than the facility for visitors to see the Main Keep under restoration works.

You may hope to reach Nishinomaru of Himeji Castle or relax in a neighboring garden Kokoen.

In advance of visiting the facility you can try reservation, which is not mandatory.
http://www.himejijo-syuri.jp/en/reservation/individual.html

[Example of rearrangement]

A. From KIX to Kyoto City: evening of Day 1.
B. From Kyoto City to Namba in Osaka City: evening of Day 4.
C. From Namba to Koyasan: morning of Day 5.
D. From Koyasan to Nara: morning of Day 6.
E. From Nara to Himeji: morning of Day 7.
F. From Himeji to Miyajima: evening of Day 7.
G. From Miyajima to Takayama: Day 8.

Time required for public transport
B. Kyoto -- Osaka -- Shin-Imamiya -- Namba (of Nankai)
: about 1 + 1/2 hour.
C. Namba (of Nankai, rail) -- Gokurakubashi -- Koyasan (of Nankai, cable)
= about 2 to 2 + 1/2 hours.
D. Koyasan -- Gokurakubashi -- Shin-Imamiya -- Nara.
= about 3 hours.
E. Nara -[rapid]- Osaka -[rapid]- Himeji
= about 2 + 1/2 hours.
F. Himeji -[Shinkansen #]- Hiroshima -- Miyajimaguchi (of rail) -- Miyajima (of ferry)
= about 2 to 2 + 1/2 hours.
G. Miyajima -- Miyajimaguchi -- Hiroshima -[Shinkansen #]- Himeji -[Shinkansen #]- Nagoya -[Ltd. Express]- Takayama
= about 6 + 1/2 hours.
# If you can take a Nozomi train, time for E. and G. cab be shorter.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction: typo 2011/9/9 03:33
NOT: time for E. and G. cab be shorter.
BUT: time for F. and G. cab be shorter.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Koyasan 2011/9/9 08:38
Koyasan is lovely, but for what you say you will only be there a few hours, going then to Hiroshima... If you land in Osaka I would stay central, not near the airport. Osaka is a very cool place. If you take the train from Namba you can go to Koyasan the 1st day, spend all day, next day leave around tea time back to Osaka or Kyoto..

I suggest different. If you have any questions I will be happy to help you.

Osaka airport - night Osaka (Shinsaibashi or Namba) go out have some dinner, night is fine here.
1-Koyasan
2-Koyasan til lunch - to Nara leave bags at the station - Visit Nara park - Go to Kyoto and stay
3-Kyoto
4-Kyoto
5-Kyoto (if you want more of Kyoto, for such a short trip two full days is enough for me) - leave for Hiroshima and stay
6-Hiroshima/Miyajima (get up early)
7-Hiroshima to Takayama
8-Takayama
9-Takayama
10-Takayama to Tokyo
11-Tokyo
12-Nikko day trip
13-Tokyo
14-Kamakura day trip(or switch to Hakone if you still want to go, if you go to Nikko is equally good as Kamakura, I'd choose one)
15-Tokyo to Osaka (Osaka day)
16-Osaka departure

And you would still be really tired, I hope you carry a small backpack all the way..or a cabin suitcase. I've done as crazy as that, but you need a moment to stop, and so far you have too little of that on day 5, a little on day 7, on day 10.. If this is your first time I would not go to Kamakura nor Hakone to spend it in Tokyo nicely. However, it is still pretty tight and I would change it more.

Have a fine trip!
by Hana22 rate this post as useful

Re: 2011/9/10 15:12
Thanks a lot for the help, especially Hana22 and omotenashi. Much appreciate the info provided
by tk (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread