Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

16 days: tokyo - kyoto - kyushu - fuji 2011/9/8 22:15
hi
can some1 experienced tell me if my schedule is (more or less) possible to pull or perhaps u can suggest sth else although there are few things i have to do :)

1) landing in Narita 22.october around 17.30 and hoping to jump on the shinkansen (not the fastest one but the one i can use with JR pass) and make it all the way to kyoto and then to kurama matsuri festival near kyoto (was recommended by a friend)
the festival last all night but if i cannot make it in 3 hours from the airport then i'll have to skip it :(

2) 2-3 nights in Kyoto like all the other good tourists ;)

3) shinkansen to fukuoka, or kumamoto where my japanese friend lives - she promised me to take me around some nice traditional mountain onsen, perhaps a bit of hiking, and party over the weekend :)

4) then i plan to use the trains to come back to tokyo stopping for a day or 2 in:

5) hiroshima

6) osaka perhaps

7) fuji climb - a must do - i know all the risks involved with winter climbing so don't try to put me off that trip - i plan to do it over 2 max 3 days and will have my own extreme weather expedition tent/sleeping bag etc as i understand no hut would be open at the time? (end of october)

8) last few days (flying out on 8th of Nov) spend in tokyo where i'll be also cheering my friend who will fight on 5th Nov in Kyokushin karate championships with few friends of mine

Now few extra questions:

a) i plan to stay in cheap hostels - do I need to book them in advance in that time of the year?

b) any rock climbing outdoor or indoor spots or english language websites u could suggest?

c) is it possible to try fishing (lure for instance) in some lakes or sea in Japan - i can bring with me a small folding rod to try it one day :)

d) where can i buy 100litre backpack in london to pack all the stuff i'll need haha

thx a lot!!!
adam
www.facebook.com/majchrzak.adam

by Adam (guest)  

... 2011/9/8 22:48
landing in Narita 22.october around 17.30 and hoping to jump on the shinkansen (not the fastest one but the one i can use with JR pass) and make it all the way to kyoto and then to kurama matsuri festival near kyoto

It takes about 6 hours to get from Narita Airport to Kurama!

fuji climb

There might or might not be any (considerable amount of) snow on the summit yet. Notify the local police about your plans.

i plan to stay in cheap hostels - do I need to book them in advance in that time of the year?

Kyoto is busy during autumn, especially on Saturdays. I recommend it at least there.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/9 04:35
Here is information for the festival:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/attractions/event/traditionalevents/a59_fes_...

Sounds like it usually ends past midnight, but I am not familiar with the activities that are on. You might as well try to get to Kyoto that day anyway so that you can spend the next full day there.
by Taiakun rate this post as useful

Flight 2011/9/9 07:41
How long is your flight to Narita? You might be too tired depending where you are coming from.

If the festival lasts all night, it means you will be up til 5 am when the first train or whatever can bring you back home. Maybe you will sleep the whole next day and miss a full day.

If you take the Sakura Shinkansen to Hakata you can stay in the nearby hotels. And take a train to Kumamoto to see your friend. Stopping a different city everyday is very tiring and usually there are trains and huge stations and subways to take to each location. So the fewer stops you make on the way is the better.

If you don't have an appointment in Kyoto I would do it differently. Unless you need to be in Kumamoto for the weekend.

I wouldn't miss Osaka for the world. I was there last month and stay 9 days in Osaka. Is good to move around Kansai, go to Kyoto, Nara, even Hiroshima. The festivals are cool but be ready to see lots of people as never before, specially when getting back and needing to catch a train..

If I were you I would try to stop only in Tokyo, Kyoto or Osaka and Fukuoka, find hotels in these cities and move from there to visit the other places :) If you get a chance try to go to Miyajima from Hiroshima, is not far :D

Don't doubt to get all the seats for all of your trips at the Shinagawa station when you change to Kyoto or at the Kyoto Station when you get off or later in the first days. And when you book your seat for the Hikari to Kyoto make sure to mention you wish to see Mount Fuji from your window, so you get a window seat in the 2 seat row. The 3 seat row is not pleasant.

Best luck and have fun! Which I am sure you will ;) Japan is awesomeness at maximum level!
by Hana22 rate this post as useful

thx 2011/9/11 23:01
cheerz for all ur answers
hana i think i'll be skipping osaka - i live in london and on my travels i seek more beauty of nature then city lights :) plus i'll be in tokyo my last week should be enough haha
a friend suggested i visit instead another place near japanese alps and do a short hike in kisoji to see old feudal japan villages
thx again for ur input!!! back to my guide book :)
adam

facebook.com/majchrzak.adam
by adam (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread