Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto - Best temples in autumn 2011/9/10 00:34
I will be in Kyoto from the 19 October to 23rd October, this is my second time visiting Kyoto but this time will be autumn.

Could you recomend the best temples / places to go to make the most of the autumn leaves - and can you confirm its the right time to see autumn during this period?

I will also go to see Jidai Matsuri, any other recomendations for what to do / where to go appreciated.
Is it worth the trips out to the farther temples like Sanzen-in etc.
Thanks
by Chris (guest)  

... 2011/9/10 09:46
Unfortunately, it is one month too early for autumn leaves in Kyoto. Here are more details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_when.html

If you came a month later, the following temples would be recommended:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3953.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/10 12:58
It's a nice time of the year, but yes, it's too early to get the autumn leaf experience you're hoping for.

That said, even if you cannot change your plans it will still be a nice time to visit.

I would suggest shifting focus from autumn leaves to gardens, though. Ginkakuji, Tofukuji, Ryoanji would be particularly nice in this season. Also, since it won't be too hot, you could walk up to the very top of Fushimi Inari, walk down the back side, and visit Tofukuji (if you are able to walk a bit).

Sanzen-in I think should be visited if you have a deep interest in Japanese history. Otherwise, I might skip it.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2011/9/10 14:41
Some of the best temples are located in the outer parts of the city.

I have not been to the Ohara area (Sanzen-in) yet, but I've only heard good things about it. I plan to go there this fall.

Other great temples/shrines are Fushimi Inari (as mentioned above), Daigoji, Kamigamo Shrine, Shimogamo Shrine...

The Kurama area is a nice half-day hike, as is the Takao area. They are most famous for autumn foliage, but still worth it.

Arashiyama is also very nice, and the temples north of the main area surrounding the bridge make a nice walk through areas that are not so touristy. In particular, the moss garden at Gioji is vibrant and Adashino Nenbutsuji Temple has many Buddhist statues outside that make it somewhat unique.

by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto - Best temples in autumn 2011/10/22 17:11
since it won't be too hot, you could walk up to the very top of Fushimi Inari, walk down the back side, and visit Tofukuji (if you are able to walk a bit).
by happyshirt rate this post as useful

reply to this thread