Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/5 12:19
I will be travelling to Tokyo in the next couple of weeks.

Would I get a better exchange rate in the UK or in Japan?

Do they have many currency exchange bureau in Tokyo?
by bv.spj (guest)  

Re: Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/5 16:43
It really depends where you change your money in the UK, but you can get a better rate in the UK. Where do you live? If you are in London, then I can give you some addresses for best rates. Failing that, Marks and Spencer give better rates than the Post Office. Avoid banks as they will charge a commission.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/5 16:51
Unfortunately I'm not in London. I live in Leeds. Thanks anyway, Rob.
by bv.spj (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/5 18:23
OK, start with Marks & Spencers, the location at 47 Briggate, Leeds, LS1 6HF has a Bureau de Change. Then check this place out, Eurochange
Kiosk 3, Merrion Centre, Leeds , LS2 8NG. Call them on the same day and see if they are commission free and offer a better rate. Sometimes going there personally and asking if they can better the rate from M&S works, small independent kiosks will often better the rate offered by larger companies. I only found this one place, but maybe you can find others in Leeds and you can shop around.

Re: Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/5 18:27
Thank You very much, Rob.
by bv.spj (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/9 05:53
Hi Rob,
Could you give the name of those places in London where I can get good currency exchange deals? I just started organizing the trip to Japan and I'm a bit lost in general.
Thank you
by Joy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/9 17:23
Hi Joy,

This company has four locations across London and the rates are not much off bank to bank. I think the prices given on the web site are online rates:

http://tegforex.co.uk/

There is a kiosk just inside Bizz Bizz at 67-71 Oxford Street. I have used this guy for many years and he has alway given me the best rate, but that may be because I have been a regular customer for so long.

Just make sure that wherever you exchange your money they do not charge commission and that they have no ''hidden'' costs.

Re: Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/10 02:54
I can't speak for the UK, but changing $US to Yen dozens of times I have always found the rate to be a little better right at Narita. It is also convenient since there are several money changing counters as you exit Customs.
Unless you are changing thousands of Pounds, the difference of a Yen or two is small.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/10 03:42
Dick, the money exchange business is totally different between the UK and USA. There is massive competition in the UK, especially in London. The locations I gave do not charge commission and are only a few Yen off bank to bank rates. It would not be a matter of one or two Yen difference, more like 10-12 Yen, that's about 10% more Yen buying at the best places in London against buying at Narita.

Re: Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/27 05:52
Thank you Rob, I'll try the one in Oxford St.
by Joy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency exchange rate in Tokyo 2011/10/27 19:50
Check the best exchange rates from the money saving expert: http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

Some of the places on there are odd sort of places in London (I don't live in London so I've never been to one of those places) but they give you the rates for everywhere in the UK as far as I can tell.
by edincoat (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread