Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamikochi to Ainokura 2011/10/13 04:23
Hi,

Is it possible to go from Kamikochi to Ainokura in one day? (Kamikochi to Takayama to Ogimachi to Ainokura?) I need to go by bus/train since I don't plan to rent a car.

Do you know if there is more than one place to stay in Ainokura? How do I get in contact with them? (searching the internet i could only find one place but reading the guidebooks there seems to be more places)

I would like to stay in Ainokura one night and then continue to Kyoto, do I need to travel back to Takayama first and then further on to Kyoto?

Thanks in advance!

by Cam (guest)  

Re: Kamikochi to Ainokura 2011/10/14 13:56
It is a pain, but should be possible. It involves three transfers of buses along the way. The bus to Ainokura is infrequent, so you better look up timetables in advance:
http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/gokayama.html

Do you know if there is more than one place to stay in Ainokura? How do I get in contact with them?

There are at least eight. You can phone them, but I doubt that any of them speaks English:
http://www.g-ainokura.com/syukuhaku.html

But there is one that can be reserved via an English reservation service:
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/db/ainokura/

I would like to stay in Ainokura one night and then continue to Kyoto, do I need to travel back to Takayama first and then further on to Kyoto?

No, certainly not. You can take the bus from Ainokura to Johana or Takaoka Station and then trains from there to Kyoto:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

Alternatively, you could travel via Shirakawago and Kanazawa.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kamikochi to Ainokura 2011/10/14 14:53
We stayed in Ainokura
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Kamikochi to Ainokura 2011/10/14 14:59
We stayed in Ainokura in April 2010 at a Gassho guesthouse called 'Goyomon'. We had a rental car which makes things much easier for travelling - it may be long and difficult getting there from Kamikochi in a day without a car. The place was very comfortable and the food great. Our host was lovely but didn't speak a word of English. We booked Goyoimon through the 'Japanese Guest House' website.

Re: Kamikochi to Ainokura 2011/10/14 17:14
Thanks!

I am actually thinking about renting a car in Takayama instead of taking the buss... is it possible to drive from Takayama to Ainokura without being able to read the signs?

I have also booked Goyomon!

Thanks!
by Cam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kamikochi to Ainokura 2011/10/14 19:42
Cam, we were in Takayama 10 days ago. I'm sure that Toyota Renta Car is now the only rental car outlet left in Takayama - right opposite the Takayama train station. You cannot book through the TooCoo website but I just lobbed up and got a small car no problem. Unfortunately I think you can only pickup/dropoff at the same Toyota outlet which would mean you have to return to Takayama to drop off. Not ideal :(

Although our car had an english GPS don't assume you'll get one. I suggest purchasing a road atlas for the area (~Y1200) and follow the road numbering. It's actually quite straight forward to drive in Japan. You will need an International Driving Licence. I think we paid about Y6000/day for a small 5 seat Vitz.

Re: Kamikochi to Ainokura 2011/10/15 08:26
I am actually thinking about renting a car in Takayama instead of taking the buss...

That would make things much easier. But in case you go in winter, I recommend to drive only if you have previous experience with driving in winter conditions.

is it possible to drive from Takayama to Ainokura without being able to read the signs?

Unless you can't read English, you will be able to read the signs. Almost all relevant signs are bilingual. Furthermore, most rental cars have a GPS navigation system installed.

I'm sure that Toyota Renta Car is now the only rental car outlet left in Takayama

No, Ekiren also has an outlet, right across the station inside the Hotel Washington Plaza

Unfortunately I think you can only pickup/dropoff at the same Toyota outlet which would mean you have to return to Takayama to drop off.

No. Toyota allows drop off at different locations.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kamikochi to Ainokura 2011/10/21 04:31
Thanks!

I called Toyota and I have booked a car that I will pick up at Ekiren inside Washington hotel close to the railway station, so it seems like they have a branch office there or a deal with Ekiren.

Leaving in two days now :-)
by Cam (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread