Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggestions for Sunday in Kyoto 2011/10/14 14:33
I've got 1 Sunday in Kyoto Nov 13, I'm guessing the main sights will be very crowded. Any suggestions for what to do?
Is a trip to Ohara worthwhile?

thanks.
by happyshirt  

Re: Suggestions for Sunday in Kyoto 2011/10/14 14:42
Ohara and the buses there will likely be extremely crowded, especially if the weather is good. So, if you keep that in mind and go with the right expectations, a trip to Ohara can still be worthwhile.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for Sunday in Kyoto 2011/10/14 16:13
Go to Nishiki Market if you like food. It is close to the city center and filled with great food stalls.

Here are some of my favorite shops there.

http://foodsaketokyo.wordpress.com/category/kyoto-‹ž“s/
by YukariSakamoto rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for Sunday in Kyoto 2011/10/14 16:34
and yes!! I like food. Thanks for the suggestion.
by happyshirt rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for Sunday in Kyoto 2011/10/14 17:50
That is the exact weekend we went to Arashiyama last year: the crowds were unbelievable: it was gridlock on the footpaths: so, not Arashiyama if you don't like crowds.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for Sunday in Kyoto 2011/10/20 09:32
wow!! Maybe I"ll use Sunday to go downtown and wonder around.

Thanks for the inputs all.

Re: Suggestions for Sunday in Kyoto 2011/10/20 10:16
I wouldn't go all the way to Ohara.

Instead, go to Yase. Similar deal in terms of sights but less crowded and easier access.

From Yase, make your way to Keage station (Westin Miyako hotel) and take another walk there (the International Hall area around the remnants of the old rail line).

You then could go north to Ginkakuji if you want to or, walk west from Keage, through Gion and onto the Kawaramachi (downtown area).

If you want to see the leaves without being trampled and still make it downtown without being tired, I think this is a very easy way to go about it.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for Sunday in Kyoto 2011/10/20 10:43
Yase? i can't seem to find any information on that?

Re: Suggestions for Sunday in Kyoto 2011/10/20 11:01
Yase is a "neighborhood" between Kyoto proper (east of Kitayama) and Ohara.

It's a small, very old area. Probably the most relevant feature of Yase is that it has its own station on the Hieizan Line and sits on the entrance of Mt. Hiei.

This means it's only 15mins by train from downtown Kyoto with one transfer at Demachiyagnagi.

With better access, fewer tourists, and multiple options for secondary sites (Mt. Hiei, Ohara, Shugakuin, Kyoto proper all on the same line), it's actually one of the best places to consider for fall and spring.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for Sunday in Kyoto 2011/10/23 18:19
Would you be able to point me to some links on the web please? So that i can get a picture of how and where to go for Yase?

Thank you.

reply to this thread