Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice on my Kyoto 2-day itinerary 2011/10/14 18:29
Hi, i'm travelling with my husband and daughter to kyoto from osaka, and am planning to spend 2 days touring kyoto. we'd like to maximise our time there. based on some guide books, i've drawn up a rough route... pls let me know if this is doable or totally ambitious for a one-day sight-see. Thanks.

From Osaka
- Arrive Kyoto JR station
- Go tourist information center
- Bus to Kiyomizudera
- Walk to Kodaiji Temple
- Bus to Heian Jingu
- Walk to Kyoto Handicraft Center
- Walk to Ginkakuji Temple
- Bus back and walk around Gion at night

2nd day
- Bus to Kinkakuji Temple
- Bus to Nijo Castle
- JR to Locomotive Train Museum
- JR to Fushimi Inari Shrine
- JR back to Osaka

Separately, I would love to go to Arashiyama, but I don't have the time. Do you think i should skip my Day 2 plans and just go to Arashiyama to visit the Monkey Park, Bamboo Grove? Or anyway to squeeze it into the schedule too?

Thanks in advance.
by Ming (guest)  

Re: Advice on my Kyoto 2-day itinerary 2011/10/15 08:57
If you are a good walker, you could as well continue walking from Kodaiji to Heian Shrine instead of going down the hill to catch a bus. It is less than 30 minutes on foot from Kodaiji to Heian Shrine.

Day 1 is busy, but doable in a single day. But I recommend to leave Osaka relatively early in the morning.

On day 2, I am not familiar with a locomotive train museum in Kyoto. But assuming it is somewhere between Nijo Castle and Fushimi Inari Shrine, day 2 also looks doable.

Depending on where in Osaka you will be going, taking Keihan Railways instead JR might be faster and more convenient.

Separately, I would love to go to Arashiyama, but I don't have the time. Do you think i should skip my Day 2 plans and just go to Arashiyama to visit the Monkey Park, Bamboo Grove? Or anyway to squeeze it into the schedule too?

If you do not mind a very fast pace of travel and an early start of the day, and if that locomotive museum is not too time consuming to access, then you might be able to squeeze in a visit to Arashiyama.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on my Kyoto 2-day itinerary 2011/10/15 10:12
Thanks Uji, you're a great help. A few more questions please if you may...

(1) Is the walk for my planned Day 1 easy? Or issit very hilly with many ups and downs? As you said, the walk from Kodaiji to Heian Shrine - is it a smooth direct path if I walk instead of going downhill to take a bus? I have 2-year old with me so with 11kg on my back, it might be a challenge if it's a tough walk. :)

(2) The locomotive museum is exactly beside Kyoto Station so I thought it should be easily accessible.

(3) I'm coming from, and returning to Namba Osaka. Would JR would be fastest if I switch at Shin-Osaka?

For Arashiyama, I shall try to see how exhausted we are after Day One to determine if we wanna attempt including Arashiyama into our Day Two. :)

Thanks again.
by Ming (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on my Kyoto 2-day itinerary 2011/10/15 15:08
Is the walk for my planned Day 1 easy? Or issit very hilly with many ups and downs?

A few short stairs and slopes are involved, but generally it is an easy walk. For people, who are not used to walk a lot, it is quite long. About 7 kilometers in total.

As you said, the walk from Kodaiji to Heian Shrine - is it a smooth direct path if I walk instead of going downhill to take a bus?

There is virtually no up and down. You will pass Maruyama Park and Chionin Temple along the way. But if you have a 2-year old, taking the bus might be better.

You might also want to consider taking a bus between Heian Shrine and Ginkakuji. That is with about 3 kilometer the longest walking section of your day.

(3) I'm coming from, and returning to Namba Osaka. Would JR would be fastest if I switch at Shin-Osaka?

JR generally tends to be the fastest for your two days. But taking Keihan can be almost as fast for returning from Fushimi-Inari or going to Kiyomizu-Gojo Station and considerably cheaper.

And for accessing Arashiyama from Namba, taking Hankyu Railways tends to be fastest and cheapest. You can look up connections by entering the relevant railway stations (Fushimi-Inari or Inari, Arashiyama or Saga-Arashiyama, Kiymoizu-Gojo, Kyoto, Namba, etc.):
http://www.hyperdia.com/

Re: Advice on my Kyoto 2-day itinerary 2011/10/18 15:52
Hi Uji,

Thanks for the link... Have been spending so much time trying the different permutations and I think I found the best journey path. (i hope)

Namba - Nara: (40mins)
-- via Kintetsu Line

Nara - Kyoto: (46mins)
-- via Kintetsu Ltd Exp

Namba - Kyoto: (70mins)
-- via Midosuji Line to Yodoyabashi
-- transfer to Keihan Main Line Ltd Exp to Gion Shijo.

Namba - Fushimi Inari: (70mins)
-- via Midosuji Line to Yodoyabashi
-- transfer to Keihan Main Ltd Exp to Tambabashi
-- transfer to Keihan Main Sub-Exp to Fushimi-Inari.

Namba - Harvest Hill:
-- via Nankai-Koya Line, alight Izumigaoka
-- Bus Nankai Line #25 to Haabestono-oka

One more question please... would a Kansai Pass cover all the above routes? I found the Kansai Thru Pass Map which indicates that it is only valid partially on Keihan Electric Railway, Kintetsu, Nankai bus. The exception area is not very clear. If you know the answer, kindly advise. Else I guess I'll have to ask each time I board. But from my calculations, I probably will get a Kansai Thru Pass... :) Thanks.

Re: Advice on my Kyoto 2-day itinerary 2011/10/19 06:50
would a Kansai Pass cover all the above routes?

No, the Kintetsu limited express requires a supplement fee. All other trains and buses are fully covered. Instead of the limited express train you can also use Kintetsu express trains between Nara and Kyoto, which are fully covered.

Re: Advice on my Kyoto 2-day itinerary 2011/10/19 12:26
Thanks Uji again...

Found another route from Nara to Kyoto:

Kintetsu Nara Station
--- via Kintetsu Nara Line Semi-Exp. to to Yamatosaidaji
--- transfer to Kintetsu Kyoto/Kashihara Line Exp. to Kyoto

This should be covered then?

Last question please (it would have to be cos i'm flying tomorrow! :P)

How are the train stations like? Would the semi-exp, local and ltd-exp train be on different platforms? Especially since some of these trains accept Kansai Thru Pass and some don't.

Or they are all on the same boarding platform but we just have to see the overhead electronic signage before each train comes to board? And because our Kansai Thru Pass is accepted only on some trains, we can only enter the station at certain designated time? Or all is on trust basis?

Re: Advice on my Kyoto 2-day itinerary 2011/10/19 21:40
(1) Is the walk for my planned Day 1 easy? Or issit very hilly with many ups and downs? As you said, the walk from Kodaiji to Heian Shrine - is it a smooth direct path if I walk ...

From the bus it's a long uphill walk to Kiyomizu. A taxi will take you up part way.

From Kodaiji to Heien Jinjya is a little more than one mile, fairly level.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on my Kyoto 2-day itinerary 2011/10/20 06:54
This should be covered then?

Yes. Note that there is also one direct express train per hour which does not require a transfer at Yamato-Saidaiji.

How are the train stations like? Would the semi-exp, local and ltd-exp train be on different platforms?

It depends on the station. Often they are on the same or opposite tracks on the same platform, but sometimes they are not. The signs at Yamato-Saidaji Station are not the clearest, but should be managable.

Especially since some of these trains accept Kansai Thru Pass and some don't.

The only that don't are limited express trains. Just avoid these. Otherwise you will be asked to pay the supplement.

reply to this thread