Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiyomizudera under restoration? 2011/10/19 23:47
Hi, was informed by a friend who just returned from Kyoto that Kiyomizudera is under restoration. But I can;t find this notice anywhere online.

Is it true? and how much of Kiyomizudera is closed? Is it still worth a visit?

Thanks.
by Ming (guest)  

Re: kiyomizudera Kyoto 2011/10/20 07:41
One small side building around the entrance was covered up on my last visit in spring. Apart from a short surprising first impression, it had virtually no influence on the visit overall.

by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: kiyomizudera Kyoto 2011/10/20 16:55
There's a limited amount of scaffolding, but nothing to worry about. It's only 300 yen anyway, which is 200 yen cheaper than most temples in Kyoto and still 10x better even with the limited restoration works.
by shakeystephens rate this post as useful

Re: kiyomizudera Kyoto 2011/10/20 19:29
I was there on the 11th. There was a big tarpolen/scaffolding covering one of the buildings off to the side of the main hall (not the main hall itself) and there was a bit of work happening on some of the paths around the place. Everything else was unaffected. If you are going to wander around Higashiyama and go to the other temples in the area, it is still worth the visit.
by Andy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kiyomizudera Kyoto 2011/10/23 12:35
I just got word from somebody who visited two days ago, that the Okunoin balcony (the secondary balcony) seems to be under construction. And I found the following picture on a blog:
http://sakaehome.blog15.fc2.com/

I am not sure whether this is something time consuming or a quick fix in preparation of the autumn color season. However, I did find information on the official temple website that renovation works are planned for the several buildings on the temple grounds, including the Okunoin and eventually also the main hall:
http://www.kiyomizudera.or.jp/yodan/vol3/

It seems strange to me, though, that they would start it just before the autumn color season, because the Okunoin balcony is the most popular spot to take autumn color photos from. So, I hope it is just a preliminary fix or survey that just takes a few days, followed by an undisturbed fall season, followed by the actual renovation works. The website mentions spring 2013 as the scheduled completion date for the Okunoin renovations.

Re: kiyomizudera Kyoto 2011/10/25 12:47
After some more research it looks like that the Okunoin Hall and its balcony will be renovated until 2013, and a temporary walkway and balcony are being constructed:
http://www.kiyomizudera.or.jp/yodan/vol3/

Re: Kiyomizudera under restoration? 2011/10/25 13:30
And this is the link that I intended to provide:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3901.html

Re: Kiyomizudera under restoration? 2011/10/25 13:35
In my view Kiyomizudera is a brilliant outing because of the festive surrounds as well. There are plenty of touristy places with cheap and nasty stuff, but also some quality stuff, everyone always seems to be having fun and the walk back toward Gion is very nice. I wouldnt let the restoration put you off going.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiyomizudera under restoration? 2011/10/25 14:34
If you no longer want to go there and your purpose is to see autumn foliage (not sure when your trip is planned for), then there are other temples that are worth visiting.

Tofukuji Temple is arguably just as famous if not more than Kiyomizu Temple in regards to the autumn leaves.

I personally really liked Daigoji Temple during the fall.

Ryoanji is also quite beautiful. The rock garden of course is unchanged by the seasons, but the rest of the temple grounds are filled with beautiful trees.

Shosei-en Garden is probably also very nice, as well as the Heian Shrine garden, although I have only been there in the spring and summer.

The Kurama area is a great place to go as well, although it is a half-day hike.

If leaves are not actually something you are concerned with then the above sites are still worthwhile, but there are of course many more great places (Fushimi Inari, Kinkakuji, Sanjuusangendo, Toji, etc.)
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

... 2011/10/25 15:46
Thanks for the updates Uji. Is Japan-guide planning on visiting Kiyomizudera during the Kyoto Autumn updates? Any idea what date?

Thanks to Rabbityama for some other suggestions of places too, haven't been to a few of those so will add them to our list!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Kiyomizudera under restoration? 2011/10/25 17:39
Is Japan-guide planning on visiting Kiyomizudera during the Kyoto Autumn updates? Any idea what date?

A first report for Kyoto and Kiyomizudera is planned for November 13.

... 2011/10/26 07:57
A first report for Kyoto and Kiyomizudera is planned for November 13.

Perfect timing! Looking forward to seeing your report (and all the others).

Thanks for the service you provide with the blog reports in Autumn/Spring, makes planning our visits much easier!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread