Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelers checks or cash? 2011/10/20 02:20
I want to exchange us dollars for yen when I travel to Japan. Should I bring TC or cash with me to tokyo? Should I change money at the airport or post office? Thanks, Gene
by gene (guest)  

Re: Travelers checks or cash? 2011/10/20 08:40
I would take TC over cash. I got better rate on TC than cash. However, I'd take some cash just in case.
by JB (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelers checks or cash? 2011/10/20 09:28
One gets a 2 yen/dollar better rate for T/C than cash at Narita.http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/index.html

I asked the rate for purchase at Chase in Chicago when the official rate was 77.26 and they gave me a whopping 72.94 for purchasing yen while at Narita it was 76.29 for T/C and 74.29 for cash. One does have to factor in the 2% charge to purchase T/C, I was going to buy $4100 worth and needed to know how much I would get in Chicago and Tokyo.... The answer was 299,000 in Chicago and 312,789 in Tokyo.... the 13,789 yen difference was about $180, subtract the $82 it would cost to get the T/C and you save $100....
by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelers checks or cash? 2011/10/20 13:19
With $US I've found the exchange at Narita is fast and convenient and better than in the US. I wouldn't bother with TCs. It's bad enough to have to fill out the paper work at Narita using cash, but then you'd need to sign every damn check as well. Whew!
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Travelers checks or cash? 2011/10/20 13:26
TC's are good to use in Japan. A lot of Japanese like using them. I found TC's more problematic whilst in Europe, they weren't as accepted as in Japan.
Hope it helps.
by peaches (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread