Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ohara or Nara 2011/10/20 09:35
I am deciding between Ohara or Nara on one of the days that i have available on my itinerary. Ohara countryside does seem more appealing to me and it seems on higher ground so the autumn colors may be nice.
Nara i'm kinda hmmmm.....
Are there any thoughts 1 way or the other?

Thank you.
by happyshirt  

Re: Ohara or Nara 2011/10/21 11:22
might be helpful for you to get an advice, if you give us the date of your trip. :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ohara or Nara 2011/10/21 11:27
errr autumn??? November.
by happyshirt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ohara or Nara 2011/10/21 12:57
The biggest attraction of Nara for me is that it is massively relaxing, if you arent running around. You can wander through parks, forests, feed the deer etc all within 10 minutes of the centre of town, with plenty of restaurants and shopping. There are a few major sites there temple wise, but really for me (us) the park is the drawcard, so now we prefer staying there to Kyoto, probably next trip we'll just daytrip from Nara. I've not been to Ohara (looks nice from the web), but that looks to be somewhere you could do as a daytrip and really enjoy.
by Lazypious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ohara or Nara 2011/10/21 17:12
Ohara is not a full-day trip unless you really make an effort to make it so.

Nara is definitely a full day.

Probably would help to first decide whether you want to mix a day in Ohara and spend the evening in other parts of Kyoto or whether you want to spend an entire day in Nara.

I personally cannot stand the Nara deer. They stink, they are very aggressive, their poop is everywhere, etc. Other than that, lately I really have come to enjoy Nara.

If you are speaking strictly about which is better in terms of leaves, at it's peak Ohara is better but again I think it does depend on how you want to spend the entire day.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Re: Ohara or Nara 2011/10/21 17:59
I would recommend you go to Nara, one hour train ride from Kyoto station.

Nara is the former capital before Kyoto, established in the year of 710. Actually the history there is older than that.

The places you should visit there (my first recommendation) are:

1. Todaiji temple - the great buddha temple http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=%e5%a5%88%e8%89%af%e3%81%ae%e5%a4%...

It is just one stride away over the deer poop...

2. Horyuji temple - the world oldest wooden structure (built in the 6th cencury and still there, I guess) Their pagoda robust structure is used at the Tokyo Sky Tree.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=%e6%b3%95%e9%9a%86%e5%af%ba&qpvt=%...

3. There are 6 or 7 world herritage temples/shrine there including the above. You should pick some more out there.

Check this out: http://narashikanko.or.jp/en/

Actually there are too many to go in Nara.
by Jay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ohara or Nara 2011/10/21 21:23
Thank you for the great inputs. It will definately help me finalise my destination.

Thank you all.
by happyshirt rate this post as useful

reply to this thread