Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help me plan my Kyoto trip 2011/10/20 10:06
I have been wanting to see Fushimi Inari shrine for awhile now, I'm finally going to Kyoto on the 15th of November. I would like to visit as many places as I can between 730am and 9pm, then I have to catch the overnight bus back to Tokyo.

Can anyone suggest an itinerary that would be budget friendly and see much as possible but starting with Fushimi Inari. (Which I believe is only a 10 minute walk from Kyoto Station).

by Brian (guest)  

... 2011/10/21 09:13
I have been wanting to see Fushimi Inari shrine for awhile now, I'm finally going to Kyoto on the 15th of November. I would like to visit as many places as I can between 730am and 9pm, then I have to catch the overnight bus back to Tokyo.

You can fit a fair amount in if you don't mind a fast pace. At least the 15th is a Tuesday so that will help.

Can anyone suggest an itinerary that would be budget friendly and see much as possible but starting with Fushimi Inari. (Which I believe is only a 10 minute walk from Kyoto Station).

Your belief is incorrect! I would follow Japan-guide's suggestion:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3915.html

Although Google Maps says 3.3km so maybe 30-40 minutes if you do wish to walk I guess. I'd take the train (140yen)

I'd go to Fushimi Inari first as it essentially doesn't close, and will be fine in the early morning.

Then I'd probably go to Tofukiji, as it is not too far from Fushimi Inari, make sure you are there when it opens to maximise the rest of your day.

Then I'd head back to Kyoto station and get a one day bus pass, and go to Ginkakuji, Philosopher's Path, Nanzenji, Eikando, Heian Shrine, through Maruyama Park, Kodaiji, Kiyomizudera. (You could add a couple of others in depending on time, although you may have to drop a couple).
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158_east.html
The map down the bottom of the above page is pretty handy.

Assuming you finish late afternoon in Kiyomizudera I would go to Gion and down Pontocho, before catching a bus back to Kyoto station.

It would be nice to see the night illumination at Kiyomizudera, but it depends on what time you get there, it won't start until 5:30pm or so.

Note the above is a hectic schedule and you may have to drop some depending on your timings. Also, if budget is an issue add up the cost of entry at each shrine as detailed on Japan-guide.

Enjoy your one-day trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Help me plan my Kyoto trip 2011/10/21 11:14
I would HIGHLY recommend Saihoji (moss temple) in west Kyoto but you will need to apply well beforehand by post for a visit. (They limit numbers to minimise impact on the temple grounds and the cost is Y3000)
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread