Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

10 Days in Kansai Enough? Budget? 2011/10/20 21:09
Hi! I'm currently an exchange student here in Tokyo.
I'm planning my trip to the Kansai Area this autumn break.

I want to do this trip as cheaply as possible though I know the trade-off is time and comfort, but I'm in Japan for a year and I'm used to roughing it, so it's okay.

There are 13 days in our autumn break, and I would like to use up maybe 9 to 11 days since I want to rest a bit before class starts again.

So how many days should I spend in Kansai?
I want to go to Nara, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Himeji, Amanohashidate, and Mt. Koya. Better suggestions?
If possible, Ise Shima sounds like it's a great destination too.
Any overnight trains/buses to go to each place that's cheap will be really nice so that I can save on accommodations.

I haven't yet decided on what specific sites to see in each area but I think that would be easier if I have a rough outline already.

So maybe
3 or 4 days in Kyoto
2 days in Nara
Then 4/5 days for the rest?
Any suggestions?

About my budget, is 40,000 yen enough for everything? Or how much do you suggest?
I don't plan on eating out at restaurants a lot (maybe just 5 times) konbini food is okay with me.
And I plan on taking the cheapest night bus, (or is there an even cheaper way?)
The cheapest okay hostel I found in Kyoto is 2000 yen per night? Do you know of anything cheaper that's not too yucky?

I might ask more questions when I think of them as I do more specific plans.

THANKS!!! :)))
by ctrlalt  

Re: 10 Days in Kansai Enough? Budget? 2011/10/21 08:38
Also, what do you think is better, just stay in one place for accommodation or move around? Thanks! :)
by ctrlalt rate this post as useful

... 2011/10/21 09:59
There are 13 days in our autumn break, and I would like to use up maybe 9 to 11 days since I want to rest a bit before class starts again.

Sounds good to me.

So how many days should I spend in Kansai?
I want to go to Nara, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Himeji, Amanohashidate, and Mt. Koya.

If you are on a budget you may need to drop a few of the above. Amanohashidate is 2700yen each way by bus or 4000yen each way by the express trains. Also Himeji is under scaffolding at the moment, if you want to see a castle from the outside I'd consider Hikone Castle. If you are interested in the restoration then Himeji would be fine.

Any overnight trains/buses to go to each place that's cheap will be really nice so that I can save on accommodations.

From? Tokyo? Obviously I'd look into overnight buses to get to/from Kyoto. They are detailed on Japan-guide or wikitravel.

I haven't yet decided on what specific sites to see in each area but I think that would be easier if I have a rough outline already.

So maybe
3 or 4 days in Kyoto
2 days in Nara
Then 4/5 days for the rest?
Any suggestions?

Sounds fine. Do you plan on overnighting in Koyasan? I'd investigate budget options now.

About my budget, is 40,000 yen enough for everything? Or how much do you suggest?

I am not a budget traveller but I'd be surprised if you could do ten days for that including the bus to/from Kyoto.

The cheapest okay hostel I found in Kyoto is 2000 yen per night? Do you know of anything cheaper that's not too yucky?

I guess if you are a single traveller you could look into couchsurfing?
http://www.couchsurfing.org/

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: 10 Days in Kansai Enough? Budget? 2011/10/21 15:33
Thanks for the reply! :D

I think I'll just drop Amanohashidate, and just include it during my trip to Hiroshima in December. Is this a wise thing to do?

So I'll just reduce the number of places I'll go to.

11/17 - Overnight bus from Tokyo to Kyoto
11/18 - Kyoto
11/19 - Kyoto
11/20 - Kyoto
11/20 - Hikone (sleep in Kyoto or where?)
11/21 - Nara
11/22 - Nara (sleep in Nara or Osaka?)
11/23 - Osaka
11/24 - Koyasan
11/25 - Koyasan & Osaka (Overnight Bus to Tokyo)

Is this an ok itinerary? Or is there a way to arrange the sights so the costs will be lesser?

Thanks! :D

... 2011/10/21 15:52
Thanks for the reply! :D

No worries!

I think I'll just drop Amanohashidate, and just include it during my trip to Hiroshima in December. Is this a wise thing to do?

I think dropping it while you are on a budget is sensible.

So I'll just reduce the number of places I'll go to.

11/17 - Overnight bus from Tokyo to Kyoto
11/18 - Kyoto
11/19 - Kyoto
11/20 - Kyoto
11/20 - Hikone (sleep in Kyoto or where?)

Yes, sleep in Kyoto, ie just do a day trip/half day trip. It is 1110 yen each way on the Rapid trains from Kyoto to Hikone.

11/21 - Nara
11/22 - Nara (sleep in Nara or Osaka?)

Either is fine. Probably more to do in Osaka at night.

11/23 - Osaka
11/24 - Koyasan
11/25 - Koyasan & Osaka (Overnight Bus to Tokyo)

Makes sense.

Is this an ok itinerary?

I'd probably move Kyoto to the end as I suspect the Autumn colours will be slightly better in that last part of your trip.

Or is there a way to arrange the sights so the costs will be lesser?

Nothing obvious, your plan looks pretty good, except consider moving Kyoto to the end?

Hope this helps!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: 10 Days in Kansai Enough? Budget? 2011/10/21 17:31
Ok, thanks! So I'll move Kyoto to the end part:

11/17 - Overnight bus from Tokyo to Osaka
11/18 - Hikone, Hikone to Osaka
11/19 - Osaka, Osaka to Koyasan
11/20 - Koyasan, Koyasan to Osaka
11/21 - Kobe, Kobe to Osaka
11/22 - Osaka to Nara
11/23 - Nara to Kyoto
11/24 - Kyoto
11/25 - Kyoto
11/26 - Kyoto (Overnight bus to Tokyo)

11/17 - Overnight bus from Tokyo to Osaka
11/18 - Hikone, Hikone to Osaka

Do you think it's possible to get off the overnight bus in Hikone?

[qse]11/19 - Osaka, Osaka to Koyasan
11/20 - Koyasan, Koyasan to Osaka
Planning to get the Koyasan Heritage Pass for this part.

Do you think getting a surutto pass will be good for certain days? Any suggestions when to use it?

Thanks!

Re: 10 Days in Kansai Enough? Budget? 2011/10/21 18:01
upon further research, I think I'll just skip Koyasan for now since I want to stay at a temple lodging, and I can't afford that now. I still have 8 months here in Japan, so hopefully, I can find time to go there. The more I read about Koyasan, the more I want to go there. :((((

So I'm editing my itinerary again. :D

Re: 10 Days in Kansai Enough? Budget? 2011/10/22 01:40
Hi!

So here's my new ititnerary:
11/16 – Overnight bus from Tokyo
11/17 – Osaka (sleep in Osaka)
11/18 – Osaka, Kobe (sleep in Kobe)
11/19 – Kobe (Sleep in Nara)
11/20 –Nara (Sleep in Nara)
11/21 – Nara to Kyoto (Sleep in Kyoto)
11/22 – Kyoto
11/23 – Kyoto
11/24 – Kyoto (Go to Osaka, Overnight bus from Osaka to Tokyo)

I think this is the best that I can do with my budget. :D also, has anyone here tried using an overnight bus from tokyo to kansai or v.v.? is not having a toilet on board difficult?

Is getting a surutto pass worth it for me on what days? Or should I first do the specific itineraries for each day before I'll know if it's worth it?

THANKS! :)))

reply to this thread