Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Iga Ninja Museum or Nikko Edomura? 2011/10/21 01:19
I'm planning my 18d/17n trip to Japan in March. It will be my 3rd tourist visit and 4th time in country. Within my 14-day JR pass validity, I will have 7.5 days in Tokyo and 5.5 days in Osaka. My Osaka days will be quite busy but I was reserving one day for an early morning trip to IgaUeno for the Ninja Museum and, after lunch, a return trip to Osaka to catch the best matches (late ones) at the sumo tournament in March. I wanted to get a bit of entertainment going with the ninja experience.My hotel is within walking distance of Shin-Osaka Eki. The rest of my days in Osaka would be: (in no particluar order)

1) Okayama and Takahashi (with a quick dash to Fukuoka on the last trains available for a purchase request)
2) Hiroshima and Miyajima
3) Osaka and Kobe
4) Kyoto
5) arriving in Osaka at 2pm. Downtown Osaka day

My hotel in Tokyo is across the street from Shinagawa Eki. My days in Tokyo with the pass will include:

1) Bandai Museum and Saitama Rail Museum
2) Nagano and Matsumoto
3) Yokohama (full day or part day with Kamakura)
4) Ishinomaki, Sendai and Matsushima on 3/11
5) Kamakura (if not part of #3)

But since I have a few more open days while based in Tokyo, I thought about Nikko Edo-wonderland. I was thinking of visiting Nikko once again (was there last Oct.) but since I saw most of it last time, I was hesitant.Then the Nikko Edomura idea came to be. If I can get somewhat the same experience (ninja-wise) there than I could in Iga, I'd rather use a Tokyo-based day to experience it instead of an Osaka-based day since I may want to head to Nara as well. I also have an extra day in Tokyo that I can use to go to Nagoya if I want. I will still have the evening of arrival and a day before and after activation of the JR Pass to do what I want in Tokyo that I didn't get to do last year.

I do understand I will be traveling a lot on trains, but I don't mind. I actually like train travel and I can either enjoy the countryside or rest on the way to and back from these places.

After all this, my real question is: if you had to chose, which one would you do? Iga is cheaper than Nikko, but would I get more out of Edomura than Iga?
by John (digs Japan) (guest)  

Re: Iga Ninja Museum or Nikko Edomura? 2011/10/21 10:46
I've been to both and would choose Iga Ueno over Edomura. Though both are tourist attractions, Iga Ueno is far less cheesy and kitsch, and feels more authentic and educational. Depends what sort of experience you want - ninja demonstrations in an open air auditorium or ninja stage show with music and lights. If you opt for Edomura, don't miss the crazy house. It's a sensory delight.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Iga Ninja Museum or Nikko Edomura? 2011/10/21 10:48
Oh and I'm presuming you like a fast pace, yeah? Just checking.

Re: Iga Ninja Museum or Nikko Edomura? 2011/10/21 11:08
John, we met an Australian couple who visited the Iga Ninja Museum about 2 weeks ago. They made a point of saying that of their 6week stay the Iga Ninja Museum was the biggest disappointment of their whole trip. The Ninja house was okay but the rest (they said) was very kitcshy and tacky with mostly only tons of young elementary age kids in novelty ninja outfits attending.
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Iga Ninja Museum or Nikko Edomura? 2011/10/21 13:35
Hey Stewy, did the people you spoke to go to Edomura as well? It'd be interesting to see how others would compare the two.

Re: Iga Ninja Museum or Nikko Edomura? 2011/10/21 20:46
Sal1980: Yes, I don't mind fast-paced tourism. Some places I'll spend 6 hours and some 3.... To tell you how fast it can be, I'm dashing to Fukuoka for a 2 hour stay just to go to the Hard Rock Cafe and get someone a t-shirt. But I'm tacking that at the end of my Okayama, Takahashi trip and getting into Osaka close to midnight.

I was thinking Edomura, since I can still visit parts of Nikko I didn't see last time. Being theme parks, I know both will be a bit over the top. They are both about the same distance by train from my departure point. But a trip to Iga would offer a different part of Japan I won't see if I don't go.

The price difference is quite large though. The little kids in Iga won't bother me. Kids are fun to watch. I just wonder how they both compare for experience. Edomura seems to be larger and more inclusive, albeit more kitchy. I don't know....
by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iga Ninja Museum or Nikko Edomura? 2011/10/21 23:48
i've been to the ninja museum, i thought it was quite cool. there are also some shops not tooooo far from iga castle where you can buy shuriken.

the ninja show is a "little" bit kitschy but it's actually pretty cool, the performers are amazing acrobats and can throw swords and shuriken quite well. i recommend it!
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Re: Iga Ninja Museum or Nikko Edomura? 2011/10/22 09:06
School trips can have a very negative impact on a museum visit, especially if the museum is relatively small as the ninja museum. It can ruin the potential of the place. I think that is what happened during Stewy63's visit.

Personally I fully agree with Sal1980. I would select the ninja museum for the same reasons. I though the ninja house was well done, the museum educational and interesting, and the ninja show with real weapons highly impressive. But if you like a more playful, less educational approach to history through a theme park, Nikko Edomura will be more enjoyable. Don't expect to learn much, though. It's just fun and plastic swords.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Iga Ninja Museum or Nikko Edomura? 2011/10/22 09:49
Uji, after all the posts I've read, I trust your judgment. The Ninja Museum appears to be more serious in their approach. And while the Nikko Edomura could be entertaining and amusing in its own way, I believe I'd get more satisfaction from a more realistic point of view. Thank you and all the others for your input.
by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iga Ninja Museum or Nikko Edomura? 2011/10/22 10:07
You're welcome.......

reply to this thread