Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Limited Express Yufuin no Mori 2011/10/21 22:59
I will be traveling to Beppu in November and plan to travel by the Limited Express Yufuin no Mori to Oita because i heard that train pass through many beautiful scenery. I understand Yufuin no mori does not stop at Beppu. May I ask, if i stop at Oita, will there be a train or any other transport I can take from Oita to Beppu?

Also, will I be able to purchase the Yufuin no mori train ticket at the Hakata station on the day of travel??

thanks so much for your help .
by beeism (guest)  

Re: Limited Express Yufuin no Mori 2011/10/22 11:02
I understand Yufuin no mori does not stop at Beppu.

That's right.

May I ask, if i stop at Oita, will there be a train or any other transport I can take from Oita to Beppu?

Yes, there are at least two local trains per hour between the two cities. It is a 12 minute ride. If you have a JR pass, you could also hop on a limited express train of which there are an additional 2 or so connections per hour. But if you don't have a pass, you would have to pay a supplement for the limited express trains.

Also, will I be able to purchase the Yufuin no mori train ticket at the Hakata station on the day of travel??

Yes, unless the train is booked out. All seats on the Yufuin no mori require seat reservations.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Limited Express Yufuin no Mori 2011/10/22 12:11
I suggest to pay an extra(~$7 w/ JRPass) to sit in the far front panoramic view window seat in a beautifully crafted wood seating car separated by noren from other passengers. After Kurume it goes into mountains through laddered rice paddies, rapid streams, tiny villages, bamboo forests, tunnels, etc.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Limited Express Yufuin no Mori 2011/10/22 13:30
is there a website that i can make reservation for the yufuin no mori train? can i get it from hyperdia? or what kind of JP pass i should purchase please advice. i am traveling from nov 11 to nov 19. will i make it in time to make the purchase before i go to japan?
by beeism rate this post as useful

Re: Limited Express Yufuin no Mori 2011/10/22 13:43
forgot to ask... how do i make reservation for my seats?
thanks

Re: Limited Express Yufuin no Mori 2011/10/22 15:39
We used regular JR Passes that you have to buy outside of Japan.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
But there are also All Kyushu or Northern Kyushu JR Pass you can buy outside or in Japan.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_05.html
You don't say where you are coming from or going afterward. But the 3 day Northern Kyushu JR Pass will pay off even just one RT on the Yufuin no mori.
You can reserve seats once you get the actual pass in Japan after exchanging the voucher.
Chance of getting those front seats are good since very few people pay extra for them. You can also ride on shinkansen to Kurume & transfer to Yufuin no mori.
Sometimes I take a yellow one man/one car local train from Kurume. It is slow & stops at every station but you will have more time to enjoy the scenery and local passengers old & young. Also I like to stay in Yufuin for onsen.

Re: Limited Express Yufuin no Mori 2011/10/22 18:26
Thanks amazinga, may i asked just to make sure i understand about the JR pass

We used regular JR Passes that you have to buy outside of Japan.

is it true that Iw ill need JR pass if i am taking the Shinkansen? If i am not planning to take the Shinkansan, i can still get my ticket for yufuin no mori in japan at the hakata station?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_05.html
You don't say where you are coming from or going afterward. But the 3 day Northern Kyushu JR Pass will pay off even just one RT on the Yufuin no mori.

Here is my itinerary...
I will be at FuKuoka from 11-15nov,
going to Beppu on 15nov to 18nov.
return back to Fukuoka on 18nov.

I am not sure if the 3 days pass is going to work because i will be in fukuoka and beppu total of 8 days.

Do you have any advice ?

This is what i am planning and i know it might sound crazy ...

Going to Beppu....
i am hoping to take theyufuin no mori to yufuin then transfer to beppu by other train.

Returning to fukuoka (Hakata)...
I am think of trying our the limited express sonic, just to try a different scenic route and enjoy different view of Northern Kyushu,

If that is the case, will i be able to purchase the train ticket for Yufuin no mori and limited express sonic in japan? am i correct?

thakns for your help.

Re: Limited Express Yufuin no Mori 2011/10/23 04:22
Of course you can buy individual basic, LTD Express and/or shinkansen tickets at Hakata, Beppu, or at any stations or on board(no reserved seating).
No need to buy the pass just to get on shinkansen or any other trains.
Sonic is nice but the scenery after the Beppu coast line is boring though as it goes through flat inland.
There are also cheaper direct buses to Fukuoka/Hakata from Beppu/Oita/Yufuin.
http://www.rakubus.jp/english/rosen/fko_afk_bep.html

reply to this thread