Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trips from Kyoto for autumn colours? 2011/10/26 13:21
The goodwill guide i'll be meeting informs me that it has been rather warm for this time of year still in Kyoto.
Are there any day trips to higher ground that I could make to view some of the autumn colors? I'll be in kyoto nov 8-19 so i guess the leaves wouldn't start changing colors yet.

Thank you.
by happyshirt  

Re: Day trips from Kyoto for autumn colours? 2011/10/26 21:32
I think November 8-19 is a great time to see autumn leaves even in the city proper. There are already some leaves changing and by then I suspect there will be many beautiful colors. It will likely be the best time!

Some of the places that are slightly elevated that are on the outskirts of the city are the Takao area, Kurama, and Ohara area. These are all famous places to see autumn foliage. The Oharano area of Kyoto is also great for autumn leaves and rarely visited by foreign tourists since it's a bit less convenient to visit.

If you want to go further out, Hikone Castle had late cherry blossoms due to its elevation so perhaps that would produce early fall colors. It's a great place to visit either way.

The typical Kyoto sites should also be good at that time, though, so Arashiyama's mountainside, Daigoji Temple, Kiyomizu Temple, Ryoanji Temple, Tofukuji Temple, Nijo Castle, Toji Temple, the Philosopher's Path, etc. are all worthwhile places to see the leaves.

by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips from Kyoto for autumn colours? 2011/10/27 11:02
Thanks for the suggestions Rabbityama. Oharano sounds like a possible option to escape Kyoto on a Sunday?
by happyshirt rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips from Kyoto for autumn colours? 2011/10/27 11:39
rabbityama, would you be able to recommend a good way to get to Oharano from Kyoto?

Thank you.

Re: Day trips from Kyoto for autumn colours? 2011/10/27 16:13
This website lists the most famous site in the Oharano area, Yoshiminedera Temple:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3947.html

If you want to visit Oharano Shrine and Shojiji Temple (this is where I went), this site lists other options:
http://www.kyotokanko.co.jp/en/oharano/shiseki.html

It looks like if you don't mind walking, you could visit Yoshiminedera Temple, Jurinji Temple, Oharano Shrine, and Shojiji Temple all in one trip which could make for a nice day or half-day.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips from Kyoto for autumn colours? 2011/10/28 12:14
Thanks Rabbityama.

Re: Day trips from Kyoto for autumn colours? 2011/10/28 12:50
As Rabbityama already mentioned, you should be able to see colors in areas like Takao, Ohara and Hieizan especially during the second half of your stay in Kyoto. The very famous autumn color spot of Tofukuji is also among the places that are coloring a little bit ahead of the average trees around Kyoto. Around the 19th it might already be quite nice. I recommend to inquire with the local tourist information.

During the first half of your stay colors are likely to be still very sporadic in central Kyoto. Koyasan is not an outstanding spot for colors, but there are color here and there, that I found quite nice. The colors on Koyasan should be quite nice before mid November:
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo10/101116_koyasan.html

Koyasan, however, is best enjoyed with an overnight stay at a temple, though, in my opinion.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread