Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagano Day Trip from Tokyo 2011/10/28 02:33
Hi everyone

I was planning on doing a day trip to Tokyo and Matsumoto from Tokyo when I visit next month. Turns out that the Shinkansen there is VERY expensive. A return fare is roughly 14000 Yen.

I've been trying to find a tour operator that would go there for a day trip or even a discounted train fare but have found nothing so far. Does anyone have any suggestions or handy links? I'm getting the JR pass but it will only be valid for the second week of my trip and I will have left Tokyo by that point.

Failing that can anyone recommend somewhere else for a day trip? I've already been to Nikko & Hakone and I plan on visiting Kamakura too.

by Jon (guest)  

Re: Nagano Day Trip from Tokyo 2011/10/28 08:55
Actually, its even more expensive than you think. The Shinkansen is more like 20000 yen for the return fare. But its better to take the direct limited express trains instead as they may be both cheaper (12500 yen) and faster depending on where you are staying in Tokyo.

Local trains are not an option for a day trip as they take 5 hours one way. But have you considered taking a highway bus? The return fare is only about 6000 yen and the ride is only about 30 minutes longer than the fast trains.

http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/express/matsumoto_shinjuku/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread