Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji market in January 2011/11/9 19:30
Hi all,
is it true that the the tuna auction is not open to tourists in January? I will be staying in Tokyo for a week from the 5th of January, although I have been to Tsukiji market twice before I was never there early enough for the tuna auction. Since I will be staying down the road in shiodome, it would be easy for me to get up early and walk down to the market if it's open to tourists?!
by Mikey k  

Re: Tsukiji market in January 2011/11/10 06:28
is it true that the the tuna auction is not open to tourists in January?

Yes, during the last few years, the auction was always closed over New Year. An announcement for 2011/2012 has not been made yet, but I expect it to be made over the next few weeks. Last year, for example, the auction was closed from December 1 to January 22.

It is one of the busiest times of the year, and they want to make sure that business runs smoothly.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market in January 2011/11/20 15:45
Hi
We will be there 28th and 29th November. What time should we get there to see the auction? Which is the best place to have sushi there? We are staying at Shinjuku. How long will it take to get there?
Thanks
by Indian Hattori Hanzo rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market in January 2011/11/20 17:52
Bad news :(

Closed December 1, 2011 to January 22, 2012.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html
by suntory3000 rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market in January 2011/11/24 07:46
Do you know if this means that the sushi restaurants at the market, like the popular Sushi Dai, will be closed as well during that time?
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market in January 2011/11/24 08:14
Do you know if this means that the sushi restaurants at the market, like the popular Sushi Dai, will be closed as well during that time?

No, only the tuna auction will get closed to tourists. The wholesale market part of the inner market will be open to tourists after 9am just as usual.

Re: Tsukiji market in January 2011/11/24 15:35
Oh, that's good news, Uji. I can get some more sleep :)
by suntory3000 rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market in January 2011/11/24 16:17
To answer some of the side questions:

We will be there 28th and 29th November. What time should we get there to see the auction?

Visitors are admitted to the auctions from 5AM on a first come first serve basis.

We are staying at Shinjuku. How long will it take to get there?

Shinjuku is quite far away. You will need to use a taxi to get to the market in time for the auctions. It will take about 30 minutes and cost about 4000 yen.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market in January 2011/11/26 16:02
Okay, thanks for the clarification, and yes...more sleep is nice!
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market in January 2011/12/16 01:33
Will the market be opened on 31 Dec?
by wallgazer rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market in January 2011/12/16 08:19
Will the market be opened on 31 Dec?

No, it will be closed from December 31 through January 4.

reply to this thread