Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice travelling to Hakone (from Shizuoka) 2011/12/7 09:56
Hello everyone,

I'm travelling to Hakone at the beginning of the year, and I can imagine how busy this time of the year for travellers, and Japanese holiday makers to onset relaxation.

My question is, should I book the tickets (Shinkansen) in advance (I'm from UK), or can I buy it on the day? I don't want to get stuck and unable to travel out because of fully booked train seats.

I understand Shinkansen goes through Kakegawa Station, to Odawara,

And I understand that I need to get the bus from Odawara to Shinanoki Sengokuhara (not sure if it's direct), however, I'm kinda fear that during these holiday season, does the bus run proficiently? Or is it a Sunday service time-table.

Kakegawa Station,
Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan

to

Odawara Station
Destination: 940-2 Shinanoki Sengokuhara, Hakone-machi, 250-0631

Sorry for all the trouble, I'm slightly fear when it comes to countryside transport.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
by Bullet_Runner (guest)  

Re: Advice travelling to Hakone (from Shizuoka) 2011/12/7 11:07
I'm travelling to Hakone at the beginning of the year, and I can imagine how busy this time of the year for travellers, and Japanese holiday makers to onset relaxation.

It can be expected to be very busy on January 2 and 3. Maybe somewhat on January 4. But beyond that it should be back to normal.

My question is, should I book the tickets (Shinkansen) in advance (I'm from UK), or can I buy it on the day?

You can't make seat reservations from outside of Japan. But note that the shinkansen ride from Shizuoka to Hakone (i.e. Mishima or Odawara Station) is just about half an hour. Even if you fail to get a seat on January 2 or 3, it would not be the end of the world if you had to stand for the quick ride. You could also travel by regular trains instead of the shinkansen (about one hour from Shizuoka to Mishima).

I don't want to get stuck and unable to travel out because of fully booked train seats.

All trains between Shizuoka and Hakone have unreserved seats. You will always be able to ride the trains. But on January 2 and 3 the competition for seats will be fierce.

I understand Shinkansen goes through Kakegawa Station, to Odawara,

I should read the question fully before starting answering questions... I thought you are riding from Shizuoka City. Kakegawa adds 15 minutes to the shinkansen ride.

And I understand that I need to get the bus from Odawara to Shinanoki Sengokuhara (not sure if it's direct)

Yes, that would be easiest. There are direct buses (bound for Togendai).

I'm kinda fear that during these holiday season, does the bus run proficiently? Or is it a Sunday service time-table.

On January 2 and 3, a special race will be held in Hakone, which has an impact on the bus traffic. On all other days, buses will run normally. More frequently on weekends and holidays than on regular weekdays.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Advice travelling to Hakone (from Shizuoka) 2011/12/11 22:01
@ Uji

Hello Uji, I want to thank you for taking time out to answer my questions in an in-depth manner. I notice you're sincere response in all questions you have answered on this website. It's much appreciated, and I'm glad we have such a great person around. Thank you! ^^;

I will check out my options in travelling to Hakone, I think taking normal trains would be cheaper for this short journey, and no need for Shinkansen.

If I find out any interesting information, I will post it here.

Thank you!
by Bullet_Runner (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice travelling to Hakone (from Shizuoka) 2011/12/12 08:35
I will check out my options in travelling to Hakone, I think taking normal trains would be cheaper for this short journey, and no need for Shinkansen.

Then, I recommend to take local trains from Kakegawa via Numazu to Gotemba Station (140 minutes, 2210 yen) and catch an Odakyu bus from there to the Hakone Sengoku area. The bus stops relatively close to the hotel (some stop at Glass no mori, which is just a few steps from the hotel. Otehrwise, Senkyoro-mae is the closest stop):
http://www.odakyu-hakonehighway.co.jp/common/pdf/english.pdf

Here is a map from Senkyoro-mae bus stop to the hotel:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=%E7%AE%B1%E6%A0%B...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Advice travelling to Hakone (from Shizuoka) 2011/12/15 02:04
Thanks Uji, I have everything planned out now!! Thanks for your help!
by Bullet_Runner (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread