Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best time to Kinkaku-ji 2011/12/12 05:18
May I know what time is the best to visit Kinkaku-ji?

Morning? Afternoon or Evening?

I heard people said during sunset is better.

by seachen  

Re: Best time to Kinkaku-ji 2011/12/12 10:32
Hello

I went there on 8 Nov 2011 which is still autumn.
Around 3pm it was very bright, not very good time to capture unless you have good camera with filter which I do not have.
The compound is smaller than Ginkakuji and much smaller than Kiyomizudera.
You could enjoy a cup of tea and dessert open air under red table and canopy near the gift shops. Similar to Ginkakuji.

There are other temples nearby taking bus - Ryoanzi and Ninanzi if not mistaken

I guess it will be depending on your travel date if winter it will be dark soon.

regards
Joana
http://femalesolotraveler.blogspot.com/
by Jwen rate this post as useful

Re: Best time to Kinkaku-ji 2011/12/12 14:13
Because Kinkakuji is built out a little from the lake shore and surrounding trees, it seems to reflect whatever sunlight is around. Light is also reflected off the water onto it.
We have been there both early and mid morning, and also late afternoon. Each of the three visits were different : bright blue sky; very overcast; and a grey misty day. Kinkakuji was stunning all 3 times, and our photos are great, although not doing it justice!!
I would recommend as early in the morning as possible: before the crowds.
Enjoy!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Best time to Kinkaku-ji 2011/12/12 22:03
I agree that morning is best, not because the temple itself looks better but simply to be able to enjoy it without the crowds.

The supposed "best time" to visit is not a time of day but a season: it's said to be winter when snow has accumulated. This is because the gold REALLY pops out among the white snow. Unfortunately, Kyoto hasn't seen that kind of snow in a while, so it wouldn't be worth planning a trip around. If there are any changing leaves around Kinkakuji then I wonder if that would make autumn the "worst" season, since the yellows, oranges, and reds of the leaves would steal a bit of the temple's spotlight...
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Best time to Kinkaku-ji 2011/12/13 05:57
In the past, when was the time of year which snow was most likely to occur in Kyoto? Or has it been too variable to tell?
by Taiakun rate this post as useful

Re: Best time to Kinkaku-ji 2011/12/13 08:00
Statistically, early February comes with the highest chance of snow. In practice, it snows so rarely that it just comes down to lucky timing.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Best time to Kinkaku-ji 2011/12/13 18:15
2 C the sunset of Goldan Pavillion, - - - it is tough.
Jus Cuz the Monks do not want anybody straying in the dawn.
In December , surely we have sunset quite early like 3;45 the dawn started today.
Im not sure the gate keepers sell the entrance tickets on that time.
Ud better enter around 3pm and kill some time around entrance and start walking the H.

4 snow cover - - - Last winter as I remember, more than several time we had.
But it must have disappeared quite early in the morning.

So, my recommendation is - - vist not only once . It is a good place to visit.
I also hope 2 visit again and again only if I have somebody to be with me .
by 36madcooky rate this post as useful

reply to this thread