Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto to Miyajima 2011/12/12 21:44
Hi,

I would be staying at a Kyoto hotel and am thinking of traveling to Okayama and Miyajima. How do I get to Miyajima from Okayama. Or is it easier to get to Miyajima from Kyoto?
by joshua (guest)  

Re: Kyoto to Miyajima 2011/12/13 03:24
Just get a Shinkansen to Hiroshima, a tram to the port & a ferry to Miyajima. Its only 40 odd minutes to Hiroshima by Kodama from Okayama
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Miyajima 2011/12/13 04:20
The Sakura or Nozomi shinkansen will get you from Okayama to Hiroshima in about 40-45 min. The Kodama stops at every station along the way and takes about 1 hr 20 min. Unless you use the Nozomi from Kyoto (1hr 40 min appx to Hiroshima) you may have to change trains at Shin Osaka to continue your journey. At Hiroshima station change to the local train that stops at Miyajima-guchi. From there walk (3 min) to the ferry for a 15 min ride to Miyajima. If you are using a JR pass it is not good on the Nozomi.
by stevenjv (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Miyajima 2011/12/13 18:20
Hi Im one of the local.
I once tripped 2 Miyajima without using ShinKansen.
I used Seishun18kippu.
It took half a day.

there is 2 way 2 reach Miyajima from Hiroshima station. One is use the local train of JR and another is 2 ride a local small box train which ride thru the local Road . The later one is more photo-genic than JR.

Good Luck
by 36madcooky rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Miyajima 2011/12/14 03:14
Stevenjv: True the Kodama does take 72 minutes. I was thinking of the Hikari which you can use with the normal JR pass. Hyperdia shows this taking 40 mins from Okayama to Hiroshima. Also the tram stop is Miyajima-guchi NOT the port. Relieved to put that right.

Re: Kyoto to Miyajima 2011/12/14 06:38
Hi Stan....I was using a route that would get a traveler to their destination using a JR pass the entire way. Sorry that was not more clear. Using the tram and ferry from Peace Park is a bit quicker but costs more since the tram and ferry are not covered by the pass. The JR train station west of Hiroshima used to change to the JR ferry dock (3 min walk) is JR Miyajimaguchi station.

http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/travel/miyajima_ferry.htm
by Stevenjv (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Miyajima 2011/12/14 16:19
StevenJv: Ah, much confusion on this. Suffice to say that the journey is easily doable :)

reply to this thread