Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train fares - how does the system work 2011/12/13 16:42
I'm just back from another trip to Kyoto. Wonderful as always. But I'm still perplexed as to how to buy train tickets. Going from Kansai to Kyoto, I sometimes get one ticket, sometimes two.

Another time I tried to buy a ticket from the machine but the lady at the gate said one ticket wasn't enough but the machine didn't offer me two....

Is there a simple guide to buying train tickets?
by Judith (guest)  

Re: Train fares - how does the system work 2011/12/13 18:56
I have no idea what kind of situation u went through.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train fares - how does the system work 2011/12/13 19:51
Kansai is the name of a region. Kyoto is in Kansai.

It's hard to guess what happened to you without knowing where you were going or what kind of train you took.

What did you do when the lady at the gate told you one ticket wasn't enough, but the machine didn't offer two?
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Train fares - how does the system work 2011/12/13 19:55
Do you mean from Kansai Airport to Kyoto? We needed two tickets for this and a couple of other trips we did, I think one part was the normal fare and the other was the express upgrade because you are getting a faster train (less stops).
by pacifictonz rate this post as useful

Re: Train fares - how does the system work 2011/12/13 22:32
Kyoto is in the Kansai area of Japan. As someone else mentioned you probably mean Kansai Airport.
You need two tickets for express trains with reserved seats. You can only get reserved seats at a Midori-no-madoguchi (GREEN window).
There are large green areas above the windows and over the entrance to the ticketing area.
You can only buy non-reserved seats at ticket machines.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Train fares - how does the system work 2011/12/14 03:11
Could it be that you were trying to go on trains belonging to more than one company, such as JR and a private railway?
by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train fares - how does the system work 2011/12/14 08:48
such type gates are upper "Express Fee" train only some major staions exist.

upper "Express Fee" train maens

- Express (kyuko)
- Limited Express (tokkyu) on local line special gate.

- Super Express (shinkansen)
on transfer(from local line) gate[Norikae-guchi(のりかえ口)]
and shinkansen (direct) gate[Sinkansen-guchi(新幹線口)].
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html
"guchi(kuchi)" means "mouth" = gate.

normal type(of local line) gates are without "express fee".
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_001.html
by Oneihan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train fares - how does the system work 2011/12/14 12:33
You need two tickets for express trains with reserved seats. You can only get reserved seats at a Midori-no-madoguchi (GREEN window).
There are large green areas above the windows and over the entrance to the ticketing area.
You can only buy non-reserved seats at ticket machines.

The above is the outdated information.
We can buy the reserved seat at vending machine. Furthermore we can buy the non-reserved seats at the GREEN window.
by takoyaki (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread