Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

From Osaka to Tokyo via Sunrise Seto/Izumo 2011/12/15 13:18
Hi, I am planning to take one of the night train from Osaka to Tokyo.

Planning to take the train on the 7th day of the 7 day JR pass. But from the Osaka station, the train only departs at 0034 on the 8th day, so my pass would have expired.

Thus, I plan to take a 1 hr train ride from Osaka station to Himeji station. Then take the Sunrise Izumo/Seto train at 2335 and reach Tokyo at 7am.

Question:
a) Any problems with my plan?

b) Will I have to pay for the night train, as I got onboard the train before 12am of the 8th day?

c) As I am going to reach(7am+, on a weekday) Tokyo station near or during the infamous rush hour, will I have to face the crunch if I were to travel out to Ikebukuro or Ueno or Shinjuku? As I do not want to experience it while carrying luggage.

Thanks for reading!
by Cala (guest)  

Re: From Osaka to Tokyo via Sunrise Seto/Izumo 2011/12/15 13:42
a) Any problems with my plan?

No. But note that it is a popular train, especially the cheaper carpet compartments (which are free for pass holders). So you better make reservations early and have a back up plan for the worst case scenario.

Will I have to pay for the night train, as I got onboard the train before 12am of the 8th day?

No, if you board the train before midnight, the pass will be valid.

As I am going to reach(7am+, on a weekday) Tokyo station near or during the infamous rush hour, will I have to face the crunch if I were to travel out to Ikebukuro or Ueno or Shinjuku?

Yes, on weekdays between 7:30 and 9:00 it is the peak of the rush hour. But I don't think that the trains out of Tokyo Stations (e.g. Chuo Line to Shinjuku and Yamanote Line to Ueno and Ikebukuro) are excessively crowded with respect to Tokyo standards. Still, you might want to drink a cup of coffee and wait until after 9am.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Tokyo via Sunrise Seto/Izumo 2011/12/15 14:07
Hi

Wow, such rapid response! Many thanks for answering my questions!

Any views to look out for for this train trip?
by cala (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Tokyo via Sunrise Seto/Izumo 2011/12/15 22:47
If you can't get a seat on the Sunrise Express, you also have the chance to reserve on the night bus to Tokyo with your JRPass.
by kyon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Tokyo via Sunrise Seto/Izumo 2011/12/16 10:55
Hi,

Thanks for providing with an alternative. Where can I check the timings of the night bus online?

Thanks again!
by Cala (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Tokyo via Sunrise Seto/Izumo 2011/12/16 10:56

Re: From Osaka to Tokyo via Sunrise Seto/Izumo 2011/12/16 12:35
Thanks very much!

Do we book the night bus tickets at the JR ticket counters where we reverse Skinkansen seats?

I see that the Premium Dream and Seisyun Eco Dream ply routes from Osaka to Tokyo.
There appears to have different classes of buses, like 'Seishun', 'Seishun chuou' etc.
What do they mean and can the JR pass book any class of night buses?

Thanks!

Re: From Osaka to Tokyo via Sunrise Seto/Izumo 2011/12/16 12:48
Do we book the night bus tickets at the JR ticket counters where we reverse Skinkansen seats?

Yes, JR buses can be reserved at the same ticket offices like JR trains, i.e. at all major JR railway stations.

What do they mean and can the JR pass book any class of night buses?

I never have heard any official statement on this issue. It covers the regular and cheaper Seishun buses for sure. I am only wondering whether it also covers the premium buses. But considering that the buses are much cheaper than trains, I would assume that the Japan Rail Pass also covers the premium buses, but I am not sure.

Re: From Osaka to Tokyo via Sunrise Seto/Izumo 2011/12/16 13:19
Thanks a lot, Uji and kyon, u peeps have been very helpful.

I think I have got all the answers I need for my questions. Hopefully I will be able to reverse the 'nobi-nobi's and not have to resort to the night buses.

Thanks once more!

... 2011/12/16 13:59
Obviously you should try and book as soon as you arrive in Japan and exchange your voucher for the actual JR Pass. Note that you can make bookings as soon as you have the JR Pass, even if that is before your JR Pass is "activated".

ie if you arrive on the 1st of the month, spend five days in Osaka/Kyoto and only want the JR Pass activated on the 6th then you can still attempt to make your Sunrise Seto booking for the 12th on the 1st.

Good Luck!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Tokyo via Sunrise Seto/Izumo 2011/12/16 16:04
Thanks, GC3!

One thing just came to my mind. Usually, at the stations, is it hard to find the trains that u want to transfer to?

And are they usually far apart, like for this instance, between the Shinkansens and night trains. Am wondering how much time do I have to spend to locate and walk between trains.

Thanks for reading!

reply to this thread