Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling Tokyo on Feb 2012 2012/1/21 22:34
Plan to fly in Tokyo on the 17 of Feb and back by the 21st, flying with my 2 sons. I would know what would be best to do other than spending 2 days at the Disneyland (will be staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay)

1. Should i stay in town the first 2 nights then continued 2 nights at the hilton?
2. The shinkanzen trip back and forth tokyo osaka will it be worthwhile to do it on a day?
3. Or its better to fly directly from haneda to sapporo on the first day of arrival and stay 2 nights there continued 2 nights at tokyo disneyland?

Thanks
by drndvn  

Re: Travelling Tokyo on Feb 2012 2012/1/22 08:37
I suggest to do something else in the Tokyo region that interests you and your sons. There are lots and lots of options. What are your interests?

I don't think the expensive, time-consuming side trip to Osaka is worth it unless you are extremely interested in the city. Likewise, why Sapporo? It is a very time-consuming, expensive side trip, and the snow festival will have ended. I don't recommend it unless you have an unusually big interest in the city.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling Tokyo on Feb 2012 2012/1/22 09:01
Thank you for the suggestion my son is 9 and 3 years old which definitely they would love to see disneyland and disneysea.

Definitely they are not interested in shopping other than toys and games.

My eldest would like to try hotspring bath is there anywhere near Tokyo?

The Bullet Train ride is it available for a day trip ?

Thanks
by drndvn rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling Tokyo on Feb 2012 2012/1/22 11:07
The Bullet Train ride is it available for a day trip ?
Yes, you can. But I think it's wasteful.
I can recommend from Tokyo to Kyoto and stay at ryokan, not a day trip.

Or from Tokyo to Nikko via Utsunomiya. It's popular for a day-trip from Tokyo.
And you can ride Tohoku-Shinkansen MAX (double-decker) from Tokyo to Utsunomiya.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJSCbGG_xVY

My eldest would like to try hotspring bath is there anywhere near Tokyo?
Oh, you can ride from Tokyo to Hakone on Tokaido-Shinkansen about 30 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytPQsp6rtx8
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling Tokyo on Feb 2012 2012/1/23 15:29
If your sons like to ride the bullet train, there is no need to go as far as Osaka. I would suggest you take the shinkansen to Atami. It's only an hour ride from Tokyo, and Atami used to be one of the most popular hotspring resorts near Tokyo. It's popularity deteriorated mainly for economical reasons (a lot of inventments went into expanding the hotels for group travel but the popularity of such vacationing style waned rapidly after the 90s). But the springs are good and there are a lot of good hotels with history which now offer reasonable prices. It is right by the sea and major hotels would have good ocean view as you dip in the springs.

Another good choice for your schedule is Isawa Hot Springs in Yamanashi. No bullet train, but the Express Train Super Asusa is just as cool-looking for kids and very comfortable ride for adults.

An hour and a half ride gets you to Isawa Onsen and a fireworks festival is on on the night of Februrary 18th. If you could get reservations, it will be a fun experience for the kids. Isawa is also close to Mt. Fuji and if the weather is nice you will get a good view of Fuji.

by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling Tokyo on Feb 2012 2012/1/23 19:40
Thank you that Isawa trip would be great...Yup the children would love to try the train...

Re: Travelling Tokyo on Feb 2012 2012/1/25 11:01
If your kids (and yourself) like trains, you can take a day trip to the Railway Museum in Omiya, Saitama. You can take a 25 minute ride on the Shinkansen (about 1500 yen for adult, half for your 9 year old and free for your 3 year old) .

It's a nice spot for any boy from 3 to 99. I have a 3 year old and a 17 year old boy and they both enjoy it just the same.

http://www.railway-museum.jp/en/index.html

by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling Tokyo on Feb 2012 2012/1/25 17:24
Thanks Harry, that is another great option, we plan to visit the pokemon center too which is near to the conrad hotel where we made the reservation for the next 2 days after disneyland.

reply to this thread