Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Things to do in Tokyo on repeat visit 2012/1/23 14:34
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything for repeat visitors in the Tokyo area? We have a few days. The following we have already done.

Asakusa (Senso-ji)-water bus - Odaiba (just had a beer at the bar on the beach and enjoyed the view, but didn't check out the rest of the area)

Walked from Meiji jingu shrine via Harajuku to Shibuya. We just walked around and soaked in the vibe, but didn't go to any particular attractions as such.

Ghibli museum

Shinjuku - went to the observatory at the Metropolitan Building.

Tsukiji fish market and Edo Tokyo Museum.

In particular we are looking for stand-out attractions or neighbourhoods that are less known or slightly off the beaten track. To give you an idea of what we are like, we are young, down-to-earth adventurerous westerners on fairly limited funds (so we're not really into boutique shopping, for example). We will be based along Odakyu line, if that helps.

Thank you in advance!

by Flipper (guest)  

Re: Things to do in Tokyo on repeat visit 2012/1/24 11:20
A sample of random suggestions:

-go for a ride on a ferris wheel. There is one in Odiaba and one in Yokohama. Both are beautiful, especially at night or sunset. If you didn't really explore Odiaba last time, I'd recommend going back. There is a replica Statue of Liberty, a mall that looks like rennaisance Italy inside, an onsen themepark that has hotsprings and buildings from ancient times, and several other interesting places.

-eat your way through Chinatown in Yokohama. You can walk through town sampling several differnt (and delisious) snack foods from vendors selling in the streets or you can sit down at a restaurant.

-Go see Tokyo tower up close at night, it's beautiful in my opinion and there is a nice shrine (Zojo-ji) right next to it.

-Watch a Broadway play in Japanese, like Beauty and the Beast or Phantom of the Opera

by Ring of Fire (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Tokyo on repeat visit 2012/1/24 12:27
Did you see the Tokyo Sky-Tree?
Probably it's still the world highest tower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZZY5C-3u2s
I can recommend Ueno and Yanaka, to take the opportunity.

And Takao-san.
Or Yokohama, Chinatown, SankeiEn garden, HakkeiJima Sea-Paradise and Kamakura.

And if you visit Tokyo tower, Kyu-Shiba-Rikyu and Hama-Rikyu gaden are near by there.

JindaiJi and Ikegami-HonmonJi, if you love temples... Although Kamakura is the best.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

... 2012/1/24 12:45
This page might provide some other good suggestions for you:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

Akihabara for electronics/anime/maids

Ueno for the park and museums, plus Ameyoko

Ikebukuro, Sunshine City and/or perhaps the Gyoza Stadium inside Namjatown (Namco town)

Roppongi Hills for Mori Tower and observatory. Often has interesting art exhibits and the view from the open air sky deck is nice on clear days/nights.

Yebisu for Yebisu Garden Palace and Yebisu beer museum.

Mt Takao might be an option too.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Tokyo on repeat visit 2012/1/24 12:51
Depending on the time of visit, there are some special events in the coming months.

Tokyo International Anime Fair is going to be held from Mar 24-25.
http://www.tokyoanime.jp/en/

The 1:1 Gundam is on display again in Odaiba and will officially open for public viewing on Apr 19.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=bYSUn_ZMHiw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHJNlxuD1Vo&feature=player_embedded

Tokyo Sky Tree will open on May 22
http://www.tokyo-skytree.jp/
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Tokyo on repeat visit 2012/1/24 12:52
You don't mention when you will be here, some things are better in some seasons.

I wouldn't spend any time going to China town in yokohama, I like Yokohama, but Chinatown is not particularly Chinese nor is the the food.

There have been similar threads in the past if you go back through a search.
Places I would consider
_ Sugamo, Yanaka, Ueno-Okachimachi, Ginza, izakaya under the tracks at Yurakucho or Ueno, Yasukuni if you have a WWII interest, Museum of Modern Art Tokyo in Takebashi, Nat. museum in ueno, with gardens it depends on the season.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Tokyo on repeat visit 2012/1/24 13:25
If you are on Odakyu, you may want to hang out at Shimokitazawa. The area has a lot of small theaters and live music venues, a lot of small alleys and small shops, cafes, etc. Popular with college students, musicians and artists, the area vaguely resembles the East Village in NYC. Setagaya Ward office has a re-development plan for the town to trash all the small alley shops and put up skyscrapers so now is the time to visit.
by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Tokyo on repeat visit 2012/1/24 16:23
Definitely try out Yokohama, it's right next to Tokyo (30 - 40mins by train) but feels very different. Minato Mirai is a beautiful area with a ferris wheel, roller coaster, a ramen musuem and a giant onsen.

I also really enjoyed Chinatown. Tokyogirl is right, it isn't 'authentic' Chinese, but if you're looking for REAL Chinese definetly don't come to Japan. Go to China. If you like tastey food (that's different from American-Chinese food) and pretty lights with a fun atmosphere, definetly check out Chinatown.
by Japanman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Things to do in Tokyo on repeat visit 2012/1/25 13:39
Thank you everyone for all the info - it's a great help to have a list of places to focus on for further research. Yokohama definitely looks interesting too. Much appreciated.
by Flipper (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread