Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Kiso Valley worth a full day's travel? 2012/1/26 06:41
Hello,

Thank you all for the messages. We've been researching the trip a little bit and according to Hyperdia , it's a bit difficult to get from Yudanaka to Kiso Valley (Nagiso station). We'll basically be travelling all day, which we are reluctant to do.

The circuit we're planning to take was Tokyo - Yudanaka - Kiso Valley - Takayama - Kanazawa - Kyoto. It seems to be quite easy to get from Tokyo to Yudanaka, but almost a full day's travel to get from Yudanaka to Kiso Valley.

So I'm wondering if we give Kiso Valley a miss, and instead include Hiroshima/Miyajima and perhaps one night in Hakone on our trip back to Tokyo, would that be a good idea?

Out trip is for 17 nights, but we'd like to get a nice flavour of each place and not rush around.

The above doesn't include day trips to places like Nara or Kamakura, which we do intend to do.

Thank you.

PS - If anybody has alternative suggestions about destinations, I would love to hear them. Thank you.
by insomniac1  

Re: Is Kiso Valley worth a full day's travel? 2012/1/26 12:55
i would vote a miss imho.

we went there in mar'11. went to tsumago for half hour. stayed over at hotel kiso (for toddler's sake instead of those raved ryokan) one night, went off to magome the next day, stayed less than an hour.

basically, there're preserved old buildings but there are modern people living there. so you'll find your cars and stuff spoiling your expectations of a picturesque ancient town view. there's nothing much to do. the shops that were open were clearly catering to tourists.

we were enroute from kyoto to tokyo. it was a comfortable detour for us but well disappointing that there wasn't more to it...perhaps it would have been better if we hiked the trail but that'd be impossible with our 3 year old.

geez...i was trying to search for a nice pix of kiso to share but none was good enough for our flickr album :s

hth!
by bedebe rate this post as useful

Re: Is Kiso Valley worth a full day's travel? 2012/1/26 13:44
I went to the Kiso Valley area two springs ago. But I spent ten days in the Chubu area. I did the walk from Magome to Tsumago and stayed overnight there. After the tourists left, it was really nice to walk around in the dark with the old-fashioned buildings - you did feel you were going back in time....but your schedule looks pretty full....of course, it's up to you....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Is Kiso Valley worth a full day's travel? 2012/1/27 18:36
so you'll find your cars and stuff spoiling your expectations of a picturesque ancient town view.

Tsumago is pretty strict about banning cars and other distractions in its preservation zone during daytime. Only in the early mornings and late evenings and during the night, cars are allowed inside.

the shops that were open were clearly catering to tourists.

The times when shops catered to Edo Period travelers are over. Tsumago is a tourist destination, and thanks to tourism the town can maintain its preservation efforts. Unlike other towns, Tsumago is strict on banning gaudy and distracting shop signs.

there's nothing much to do.

Among the buildings are several historic buildings and museums that explain the history of Tsumago and post towns in general. If you are not interested in it, it can't be helped.

Here are some basic explanations about the town:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6077.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread