Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

going hokkaido end apr early may 2012/1/26 14:08
we are a family of 3 adults and thinking of a driving holiday in hokkaido from 28 apr to may 6, is it advisable ? if not what do u recommend esp its golden week with crowds etc
by Gannyo (guest)  

Re: going hokkaido end apr early may 2012/1/27 18:45
The roads around the large cities might be crowded around the beginning and end of the holiday periods, especially on May 3 (especially roads leading out of Sapporo) and May 5-6 (especially roads leading back into Sapporo).

But I don't think that the situation is generally very drastic compared to Tokyo. After all, April and May is not a peak travel season for Hokkaido.

Parking might be crowded in popular sightseeing spots, such as cherry blossom destinations (if the blossoms happen to be in bloom during the time of your visit).

But generally, I would not strongly recommend against driving in Hokkaido during Golden Week. If you could easily shift your holiday by a week, then I would recommend to do so, but if it is very difficult to reschedule, I would go ahead and visit during Golden Week.

Generally speaking, April/May is not the most attractive time of the year for Hokkaido. Spring is only about to start. It is too late for winter sports and winter landscapes and too early for hiking and flowers (except possibly cherry blossoms). But shopping, food, hot springs and city sightseeing is enjoyable.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread