Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyako or Okinawa? 2012/1/27 15:52
While planning our (my sister, brother and I) trip to Japan this October we knew we wanted to visit one of the southern islands, but we can't seem to decide which one. Finally we narrowed it down to these two, but I was hoping for some advice from others before we make the finale decision :)
We all love the images we've seen of the beaches on Miyako, but the ruins, Peace Park and some of the beaches of Okinawa are just as appealing to us.

So which is, in your opinion, the better overall experience?

Thanks so much for any and all advice/help!
(Sorry if the question is worded awkwardly, 1 a.m is not a good time for me ^^)
by Dyela  

Re: Miyako or Okinawa? 2012/1/27 17:10
Miyako island is part of Okinawa but anyway I get what you mean.
The main island is good for the history, architecture, restaurants, aquarium, etc. However, for beautiful beaches (which is okinawas main attraction) go to Miyako-jima. Go to both would be best plan of course...and I suggest Naha first with the museums etc so you get a background understanding to the place before heading to the beaches.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyako or Okinawa? 2012/1/27 22:37
Miyako has not much to offer besides the beaches, snorkeling and diving, but it superior to Okinawa Honto in that respect. Okinawa Honto is much bigger than Miyako and has much more to offer besides beaches.

So, unless beaches, snorkeling and diving are the clear priority of your trip, I recommend Okinawa Honto.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Miyako or Okinawa? 2012/1/28 15:52
How about MiyakoJima and Ishigaki Islands and leave Okinawa to another time when you can spend more time exploring only Okinawa itself.

You can fly MiyakoJima-Ishigaki in about 30mins with RAC air.
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread