Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone & Kamakura / Enoshima & Kawagoe 2012/1/29 13:53
Hello.
I intend to visit the above places from Tokyo on a day trip in early April; Hakone on a day trip and Kamakura + Enoshima on another day.

My main reason for visiting Hakone is to see Mt Fuji assuming it is a clear day.
(I could not see it when I visited Kawaguchi-ko as it was raining then)

- Is visiting Hakone on a day trip sufficient ?
- If so, how early should I start the journey from Shinjuku ?
I plan to visit Hakone-Yumoto (window shopping ?), Owakudani & the Hakone detached palace garden.
- Is the clockwise or anti-clockwise route recommended ?
- Does anyone know of the timetables for the buses, boat trip and tram/ropeway/cable car for the route ?
- Where is the best place for lunch ?

- Where is a recommended place for lunch & dinner at Enoshima & Kamakura ?

- Is Kawagoe worth a visit, say for 0.5 days from Tokyo ?

Many thanks.
by TUL (guest)  

Re: Hakone & Kamakura / Enoshima & Kawagoe 2012/1/29 14:52
My main reason for visiting Hakone is to see Mt Fuji assuming it is a clear day.

Note that the chances of seeing Mount Fuji from Hakone are rather low. The chances are higher from Kawaguchiko.

- Is visiting Hakone on a day trip sufficient ?

Yes, many people visit Hakone in a day trip. And one day seems enough for your particular plan.

If so, how early should I start the journey from Shinjuku ?

I recommend to arrive in Hakone by around 9-10am. If you go earlier, many things won't be open yet. If you go later, your day will become rather short.

I plan to visit Hakone-Yumoto (window shopping ?), Owakudani & the Hakone detached palace garden.

Don't expect too much from shopping in Hakone-Yumoto. There is some (mainly local souvenirs and foods), but not a lot.

Is the clockwise or anti-clockwise route recommended ?

I don't think that it matters.

Does anyone know of the timetables for the buses, boat trip and tram/ropeway/cable car for the route ?

Bus timetables are not easily available in English. The main lines have frequent service (every 10-20 minutes). You can look up the details in Japanese here:
http://www.hakone-tozanbus.co.jp/

Train timetables can be looked up here:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

And links to the ropeway and sightseeing boat timetables are found towards the bottom of the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

Where is the best place for lunch ?

Tourist restaurants are spread all over the area, especially in Yumoto, Moto-Hakone and Hakone-machi.

Where is a recommended place for lunch & dinner at Enoshima & Kamakura ?

I recommend to try the local specialty, Shirasu Donburi on Enoshima. Many restaurant on the island serve it.

Is Kawagoe worth a visit, say for 0.5 days from Tokyo ?

I recommend Kawagoe only to people who have already been to most other sites of interest or have a special interest in the history of Edo.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread