Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass for 7 days 2012/2/17 16:17
Hello, I finally bought my JR PASS on-line and will be heading to Japan on April 16.
My question is what train I should take from Tokyo to Kyoto using my JR pass.
Which station I should go to catch my train on April 20.Will be spending 4 days in Tokyo first including day trip to Kamakura and Nikko.

I did not finalize yet my last 3 days in Tokyo but my concern is what is the nearest/cheapest hotel I can use that is accessible for any JR train going back to Narita Terminal 1. My flight is at 4:00pm but I want to make sure I will get to the airport on time. I will be travelling alone so I need a hotel closer to the train station. Thanks.
by Mary Grace Dizon (guest)  

Re: JR pass for 7 days 2012/2/17 17:41
My question is what train I should take from Tokyo to Kyoto using my JR pass.

A Hikari train along the Tokaido Shinkansen:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018_tokaido.html

Which station I should go to catch my train on April 20.Will be spending 4 days in Tokyo first including day trip to Kamakura and Nikko.

It depends on the location of your hotel. The Tokaido Shinkansen can be borded at Tokyo Station, Shinagawa Station and Shin-Yokohama Station.

I did not finalize yet my last 3 days in Tokyo but my concern is what is the nearest/cheapest hotel I can use that is accessible for any JR train going back to Narita Terminal 1.

Narita Airport can be conveniently accessed by direct airport trains from Tokyo Station, Ueno Station, Shinagawa Station and Shinjuku Station:
http://www.japan-guide.com/hotels/tokyo.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass for 7 days 2012/2/21 17:38
Thanks Uji you are always very helpful....I guess the best option is for me to book a hotel close to the airport that will also provide a transfer from hotel to Narita.

I was looking at Narita Tobu Hotel or Richmond Hotel if I came from Shizouka I have to go back to Tokyo station then get the train from there I believe then maybe get the shuttle bus from the airport to my hotel. Not sure if they have a JR train station close by where I can get off. Please help and thank you Uji.

My flightback to Toronto is at 4:00pm but I need to be there at least 3 hrs in advance ...hate to rush Uji. Also, if they will drive me from Shizouka how long is the driving to Narita. I will not oblige them but just in case they offer....was told about 3 hrs is that true seems really far.
by Mary Grace Dizon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass for 7 days 2012/2/21 19:06
I was looking at Narita Tobu Hotel or Richmond Hotel

if I came from Shizouka I have to go back to Tokyo station then get the train from there

Transfer at Shinagawa Station is slightly easier than transfer at Tokyo Station.

I believe then maybe get the shuttle bus from the airport to my hotel.

The Tobu hotel has shuttle buses from the airport:
http://naritatobuhotel.com/?page_id=1059

The Richmond Hotel does not. It is located near Keisei Narita Station. I would take the Narita Express to the airport and then backtrack by Keisei Railway to Keisei Narita Station:
http://richmondhotel.jp/en/narita/#h3_05

Also, if they will drive me from Shizouka how long is the driving to Narita.

From Shizuoka City it is about 3-4 hours.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass for 7 days 2012/2/21 21:42
I will be travelling alone so I need a hotel closer to the train station.

Just curious as to why travelling alone requires a hotel close to a train station?

I guess the best option is for me to book a hotel close to the airport that will also provide a transfer from hotel to Narita.

Why would you come to that conclusion? You said your flight is at 4.00 pm and you would like to be at the airport 3 hours before. You could be at the airport in under an hour from Ueno via the Keisei Skyliner - 12.00 Keisei Skyliner 20, arrive at Narita 12.44. There are plenty of cheaper hotels in the Ueno area than staying out at Narita.

If you still have an active JR rail pass on your last day, I would suggest staying at the Toyoko Inn at Shinagawa (about half the price of the Tobu, I think)and catching the N'EX to the airport. Narita Express 23, leaves Shinagawa at 11.50, arrives at Narita Terminal 1 at 12.56.

Also, if they will drive me from Shizouka how long is the driving to Narita. I will not oblige them but just in case they offer....was told about 3 hrs is that true seems really far.

If who will drive you? Also, I thought you said you are spending the last three nights in Tokyo?
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass for 7 days 2012/2/21 21:57
Maybe she would definitely like to make sure she never miss her flight to Toronto or JR Pass expires 1 day before the flight or .....

Just informing you can theoretically make it even from Hiroshima.
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=HIROSHIMA&arv_n...
by v (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass for 7 days 2012/2/24 16:29
Thanks Uji, RobBeer and V for your help.

I just need to be closer to the train because I will be dragging my big luggage and I hate to say that it is heavy.

Also, I always take package tours for the last 15 years and this will be my frist time to go solo. Want to experience the freedom to take my own sweet time and spend more time with my friends too.

Yes, Rob I will check Toyoko Inn you suggest for sure. Counting days already for my trip....ANy idea how cold it will be by April 16 to 29 in Japan. Don't want to carry so much clothes. Thanks again gents!
by mary grace dizon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass for 7 days 2012/2/24 16:36
Rob....my cousin want to drop me off to the the airport but considering it will take 3 to 4 hrs driving with her two kids in a row I was thinking of staying my last 3 days in Tokyo instead of staying in Shizouka with them. My option is to stay with them 2 days instead as not to bother them too much. Thanks.
by Mary Grace Dizon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread