Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yashima, Shikoku Mura, views of Seto Obashi 2012/2/23 19:49
Hi, I'm planning a trip to Shikoku from late March to early April. I will be visiting the Iya Valley (Oboke gorge, statue of peeing boy, Iya vine bridge, monorail at Oku Iya valley, twin vine bridges at Iya valley). Before this part of my travel, I'll be at Takamatsu and am thinking of visiting Ritsurin Garden and Mount Yashima. I read mostly good reviews about Shikoku Mura at the foot of Yashima, but I'm not sure if it's worth the time and entrance fee going in there if I'm going to Iya valley 2 days later. Can anyone advise?

Also, are there any hiking trails up (or down) Mount Yashima? If there are, how long does it take? I'm reaching Takamatsu at around 11 am and I'm hoping to cover both Ritsurin garden and Mount Yashima (& maybe Shikoku Mura) on that same day. Would it be feasible?

I'll be entering Shikoku via Seto Obashi bridge by the JR trains. I read that Mount Washuzan offers the best view of all the 6 bridges but I don't think the bus timings (seems that there are only 2 buses a day) can fit into my itinerary. Are there other spots where I can view the bridges, especially at the Shikoku side? If possible, I would like to see it both in the day and at night when all the lights are up.

Thanks to anyone who answers in advance!
by xiaobai (guest)  

Re: Yashima, Shikoku Mura, views of Seto Obashi 2012/2/23 22:24
but I'm not sure if it's worth the time and entrance fee going in there if I'm going to Iya valley 2 days later. Can anyone advise?

The Iya Valley and the Shikoku Mura are two completely different attractions. Yes, there is also a vine bridge at the Shikoku Mura, but apart from that it is an open air museum about houses from across Shikoku across the ages. Most of it you cannot see in the Iya Valley. If that interests you, I recommend to include a visit to the Shikoku Mura.

I'm reaching Takamatsu at around 11 am and I'm hoping to cover both Ritsurin garden and Mount Yashima (& maybe Shikoku Mura) on that same day. Would it be feasible?

Yes, it can be done.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Yashima, Shikoku Mura, views of Seto Obashi 2012/2/24 00:02
The Washuzan Youth Hostel is defintely a good place to see the Seto Ohashi Bridge, and very convenient for seeing it at night, since you are already at the hostel and don't have to worry about time.

I'm not sure where the good places to see the bridge are from the Kagawa side...

You should have exactly enough time to visit Ritsurin Garden and Yashima in a day, so probably you won't have time to visit those with Shikoku Mura. But that is assuming you want to see all of Ritsurin Garden and then take some time at Yasima as well. If you are faster it may be possible to visit Shikoku Mura. I have been to Yashima and Ritsurin Garden but not Shikoku Mura so I don't know how long it usually takes to see everything there.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yashima, Shikoku Mura, views of Seto Obashi 2012/2/24 08:21
Here's a blog about Yashima: http://cathy.ashita-sanuki.jp/e448985.html

We spent a few hours at Ritsurin-Koen and a couple of hours at Shikoku Mura, but didn't go to Yashima because the buses were too infrequent and time was limited. We'd been to Iya Valley earlier in our trip, but as Uji said it's different to Shikoku Mura.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Yashima, Shikoku Mura, views of Seto Obashi 2012/2/24 11:59
Thanks everyone for the answers.

Looks like it's not quite possible to visit Yashima, Shikoku mura & Ritsurin garden all in one day after reaching Takamatsu at 11 am, at least not without rushing. I have a second day at Takamstsu, and I was planning to visit Tamamo Park and take a day trip to Shodoshima that day. Am now thinking whether to go to Ritsurin Garden early in the morning before heading to Shodoshima around 10-11 am. Would there be enough time to visit Shodoshima? By the way, does anyone know where I can check the tide timings for Angel road in Shodoshima?

Oh one more question. I read that there is free entrance into Tamamo park in the evening to see the sakura light-up during the time I'll be at Takamatsu. Do you think it's good enough just to go there in the evening or should I also pay & go in to see the castle ruins & flowers in the day as well?
by Xiaobai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yashima, Shikoku Mura, views of Seto Obashi 2012/2/24 12:40
What are you hoping to see at Shodoshima? You may only have time to visit one or two things, depending on bus times. We hired a car but driving between attractions still takes time.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Yashima, Shikoku Mura, views of Seto Obashi 2012/2/24 12:58
To check the tide condition for Angel Road, on the following webpage scroll down roughly mid page and you can see a box for you to enter the day and then click to see high tide –ž’ª and low tide Š±’ª.
http://www.shodoshima-kh.jp/angel/index.php

If you are not driving, it is difficult to cover all the worthwhile sites on Shodoshima in 1 day just by using public transport. We used the bus and could only take in Olive Park, Angel Road, Dobuchi Strait and Meironomachi together with a couple of art sites during the Setouchi International Art Festival in 2010, and we arrived on the island at 9.00 in the morning.
by William5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread