Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Furano/Sounkyo in Mid May 2012 2012/2/24 21:33
Hi,

I will be in Sapporo in 13 May 2012 and I am wondering whether it is advisable to head out for a day trip to Sounkyo and Furano the following day(14 May)?

I was there in mid June 2008 and had a wonderful experience. This time round, however, it doesnt seem like May is a good time to be in Furano or Sounkyo?

I plan to travel from Sapporo early in the morning on 14 May to Sounkyo to explore the area, catch a bus sometime in the afternoon and travel to Furano Farm Tomita before staying there for the night. Is it too ambitious? If so, would you recommend to go for Sounkyo or Furano. By the way, I will be staying at Hakodate the following night.
Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks alot!
by Jam (guest)  

Re: Furano/Sounkyo in Mid May 2012 2012/2/24 23:26
I will be in Sapporo in 13 May 2012 and I am wondering whether it is advisable to head out for a day trip to Sounkyo and Furano the following day(14 May)?

Regardless of the season, I don't recommend it. You would spend most of your day driving and just a little bit of sightseeing in Sounkyo and Furano. A daytrip to Furano alone is at the limit of what I would consider enjoyable. Even a daytrip to Sounkyo is beyond what I would consider enjoyable because of the driving distances involved. It is even worse if you would be traveling by public transportation.

May is not a very good season as spring only just has started. The first flowers are only just coming out. Snow still covers the higher elevations. But it can already be enjoyable.

I plan to travel from Sapporo early in the morning on 14 May to Sounkyo to explore the area, catch a bus sometime in the afternoon and travel to Furano Farm Tomita before staying there for the night.

I should read the entire question before starting to answer...

Travel by public transportation in this region of Japan is not efficient. Please look up the timetables:

Trains:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

Bus between Asahikawa, Kamikawa and Sounkyo:
http://www.dohokubus.com/11w-kamikawa.PDF
(valid until April 10, but I don't think the timetable changes too much afterwards)
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread