Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I go to Tokyo? 2012/2/26 05:00
Hey!

I'm planning a few weeks trip to Japan in April-May. First my plan was to go Osaka-Kyoto-Gifu-Tokyo but since I don't have a big budget (I calculated 5800yen a day for everything) I need to concider carefully what should I do.

I would love to visit Tokyo, since it's the most famous city in Japan, but now I'm not sure whether I should go or not. I've read japan-guide's Tokyo city guide and it seems like many of its attractions are some sort of shopping districts and it's mostly known as a modern city. Is it possible to fully enjoy the city even if you can't spend much money? Are the shops and everything worth visiting even if you couldn't really buy anything?

I know in Tokyo there are plenty of parks, temples etc. too but is there really anything that I couldn't see in Kyoto or Osaka?

I want to experience both the modern and the traditional Japan but it's starting to feel like I would miss a lot of the modern with this budget. Maybe I should focus on Osaka-Kyoto area and come later in the future see the rest?

What do you think?

by ojimak  

... 2012/2/26 11:12
I still think there is lots to see in Tokyo even if you are on a budget. Many attractions are free and even though some of them are based around shopping it can still be very interesting to look without actually buying anything.

Good examples of free places:-
Tsukiji Fish Market
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Buildings 45th floor observation deck in Shinjuku (great views)
Yoyogi Park (especially on Sundays)
Meiji Shrine
Shibuya (especially Hachiko and the crossing)
Ameyoko (A market but you don't need to buy anything, usually good atmosphere)
Even Harajuku/Omotesando is interesting to see even if you buy nothing.

etc. etc. There really are too many to list!

I would definitely include Tokyo in my schedule. You may wish to look into overnight bus (pass) with Willer Express for your transport between cities.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Should I go to Tokyo? 2012/2/26 13:10
Do not miss Tokyo It's the coolest city in Japan, arguably in the world!! You'll still enjoy it even if you can't spend much money. Just being there is awesome!!!
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I go to Tokyo? 2012/2/26 19:17
Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear :)
by ojimak rate this post as useful

Re: Should I go to Tokyo? 2012/2/29 10:59
Toyko is nice. But it you want cheap accomodation, stay at one of the Ryokan Hotles in Minami-Senju.
by Sheldon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread