Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Late arrival at Kansai Airport 2012/3/16 13:18
We will be arriving at Kansai Aiport on 25 May 2012, our flight is scheduled to touch down at 9.20pm. Our problem is how are we going to get to the hotel in Kyoto. It seems that the Haruka train last departure is at 10.16pm. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
TangYP
by tangyp  

Re: Late arrival at Kansai Airport 2012/3/16 15:59
I'm a Japanese living in Osaka.
I don't know where the hotel is in Kyoto so assuming that the destination is close to Kyoto station.
Even if you get out Kansai airport at almost 11pm, you can arrive.
Next is the JR line's timetable of the final train to Kyoto.
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KANSAI%20AIRPOR...
by tatsu1234 rate this post as useful

... 2012/3/16 17:09
Even arriving at 9:20pm I think you still have a good chance of making the 10:16pm Haruka. I would be surprised if you missed it. We arrived around the same time last trip and had no issues. At that time of night customs/immigrations was not busy and we were through quickly.

You don't mention it but you may wish to purchase the JR West One Day Pass as this gets you on the Haruka for 2000 yen (non-reserved). You should be able to pre-purchase the voucher for this in your country (which may save some time).

Even if you miss the 10:16pm there are a few other options getting you to Kyoto, although they will require a station change along the way (as mentioned above)

If you are running a little late then dashing off the plane to get to the immigration queue will save you a bit of time, and also running to the JR Office may get you ahead of a few people trying to exchange JR Passes. The JR Office is pretty easy to find, opposite the train gates. Just follow the signs for trains. Basically exit the airport area, turn left and go up the long escalator, turn right and go across the overpass/walkway with the road below and then the JR Office is on your left.

It is all well signed and easy to find!

Enjoy your trip!

by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Late arrival at Kansai Airport 2012/3/16 20:46
Many Thanks to both of you in giving us the solutions in getting to Kyoto. We will be staying in Kyoto Tower Hotel which is just opposite the Kyoto station.

TangYP
by tangyp rate this post as useful

Re: Late arrival at Kansai Airport 2012/3/28 03:19
You can also consider the taxi shuttle. It is a bit more expensive than trains and takes a slightly longer time to reach Kyoto but it saves you from all the worrying and dashing to catch the last Haraku train.

Needs advance reservation.

http://www.mk-group.co.jp/english/shuttle/

by LydiaL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late arrival at Kansai Airport 2012/3/28 16:11
Hi LydiaL

Would rake your advice to book the shuttle.

Thanks

Re: Late arrival at Kansai Airport 2012/3/29 03:55
Not sure if you have visited this area before or how familiar you are with the train system in Japan. You would probably make the Haruka, but if your plane is late, or you have any delays in the airport you may be pushing it for time. I have taken the shuttle recommended here and it is very efficient, and you won't have any problems with traffic at that time. Another option that I did a couple of weeks when arriving late at Kansai was to stay one night at the Washington Kansai Airport Hotel. It was approx $80 USD. They have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and I took the free shuttle back to the airport the next morning to catch the Haruka to Kyoto. I chose to spend the first night in a hotel that was half the price of the hotel I was staying at in Kyoto due to arriving so late and all I did was shower and sleep. However, the Tower Hotel is not expensive so it's probably not and issue for you there. Enjoy!
by Karen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late arrival at Kansai Airport 2012/4/1 20:44
Hi Karen

Thanks for your suggestions.

reply to this thread