Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One last day in Kyushu 2012/3/27 14:29
Hello,

I am trying to decide what best to do with my last full day in Kyushu & thought you folks might be able to help. Currently I'm based in Fukuoka & have a JR pass. 

Here's what I've done so far. 
Day 1: Fukuoka
Day 2: Nagasaki
Day 3: Mount Aso & Kumamoto (writing this on the way to Kumamoto as it happens!)
Day 4: ?

I'm thinking one of the following-
* Beppu. I hear there isn't that much here aside from hells & onsens however
* Kagoshima & Sakurajima. A little far but manageable with the Shinkansen. A traveller I met mentioned a nice onsen on Sakurajima.
* Arita, Huis Ten Bosch & Ureshino onsen. I'm from the UK (but not been to Holland yet) & I've been told Huis Ten Bosch isn't really worth visiting although I understand there's a flower festival at the moment. 

Thoughts? I'm slightly leaning towards Kagoshima myself.

Thanks all!
by Mrdini  

Re: One last day in Kyushu 2012/3/27 15:45
It comes down to personal interest. I personally would go to Beppu and enjoy the wonderful array of baths, including hot water, sand, mud and steam baths.

But Kagoshima and Sakurajima is also an excellent destination for a one day trip from Fukuoka. The traveler you met is most likely referring to Furusato Onsen. I personally find it an awkward onsen because you have to wear a heavy bath robe inside the bath. On the plus side it is gender mixed and ideal for people who have problems getting naked in front of strangers. See more details here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4601.html

Personally Arita, Huis Ten Bosch and Ureshino onsen interest me much less than the other two options, but if you have a special interest in pottery, flowers or "One Piece", it could also be a very rewarding day trip.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: One last day in Kyushu 2012/3/28 00:53
I am planning to go to Yanagawa, and do a boat tour of the canals, eat unagi (steamed eel), and go to the local hot springs bathouse.

I am staying near the Hakata station, and I am planning on going to the Nishitetsu station and purchasing one of the standard packages. The station has other packages that your could also go on. Here is a link:

http://www.nishitetsu.co.jp/train/kippura/global/english/

I am also planning on going to Beppu, and going to the 'Nine Hells' and I already know it's going to be overly tourist hyped attraction. It will remind me of why some areas, like Yellowstone, were set aside as national parks, and are free of most of this type of hype. I still plan to enjoy myself, and eat a flan that was cooked in hot springs water.

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: One last day in Kyushu 2012/3/28 23:55
Just to close this thread out :)

I went to Beppu in the end. The hells are definitely a bit touristy/tacky. I definitely wouldn't have paid individually for all of them - the coupon booklet is a bit of a better deal.

I only went to one onsen - Takegawara onsen. Roasting! Thanks all for the advice!
by Mrdini rate this post as useful

reply to this thread