Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

30 days Itinerary - first time in Japan 2012/3/29 00:54
Hi, I'm planning my first japan trip with my husband this November-December. I've been doing fair bit of research for the trip. Just want to make sure the trip is feasible before I book all the accomodations and stuff.

we will be arriving late on 12/11/13 from KL to Haneda. Will be staying near Tsukiji.
D1 (13/11) Tsukiji in early morning and Obaida.
D2 (14/11) Travel to Nikko with the Themepark pass. visit the themeparks. night in Nikko
D3 (15/11) Visit Nikko town and lake Chozenjiko. back in Tokyo in evening.
D4 (16/11) Travel to Karuizawa for a bit of snow and ski experience. Night in Karuizawa
D5 (17/11) Travel to Matsumoto. Visit the castle and Nawate dori and Nakamachi street. Stay overnight in Matsumoto.
D6 (18/11) Bus to Shin-Hodaka in the morning. visit the observation deck. Continue on to Takayama in late afternoon and stay at Takayama at night.
D7 (19/11) Takayama town and over night here again.
D8 (20/11) Takayama in the morning and bus to Shirakawago after lunch. Stay at Shirakawago.
D9 (21/11) Bus to Kanazawa. and spend night there.
D10(22/11) Spend morning in kanazawa and travel to Kyoto after lunch.
D11(23/11) Kyoto
D12 - D15 (24/11-27/11) Kyoto and include 2 day trips: Himeji and Nara
D16 (28/11) Travel to Mount Koya and night at one of the temples.
D17(29/11) Travel to Osaka and visit the aquarium (whale shark!) Night at Osaka.
D18 (30/11) Travel to Hiroshima, visit the peace park and after lunch travel to Miyajima and stay over night on the island.
D19 (1/12) Miyajima in the morning and travel to Beppu. Night at Beppu
D20 (2/12) Visit the hells at Beppu in the morning and travel to Mount Aso and stay over night there.
D21 (3/12) Visit Mount Aso Summit in the morning and travel to Kurokawa Onsen in the afternoon and stay there at night for the onsen experience.
D22 (4/12) Travel to Yufuin. Spend several hours exploring the town and continue on to Nagasaki. Night at Nagasaki
D23 (5/12) Nagasaki. Gunkanjima Tour and around the town. Night at Nagasaki again
D24 (6/12) Nagasaki in the morning. Leave around lunch time. Have a stop over at Hakata. Then continue on to Okayama. Hopefully board the Sunrise Seto/Izumo sleeper back to Tokyo over night.

Spend a few days at Tokyo. Visit the disneyland/sea and sky tree etc.
Leave from Tokyo mid Dec. Possible day trip to Kamakura.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 21 days JR pass to be used from 16/11 to 6/12.

Is it difficult to reserve Nobi Nobi seats on sleeper train? Does JR pass cost the cost?

I hope we can catch some nice autumn colour on this trip!

Any thoughts or suggestions on our itinerary would be greatly appreciated! Its our first major holiday and first time to Japan, I hope the itinerary is feasible.
by 1337yang  

... 2012/3/29 09:15
Overall it looks very nice to me and you have obviously put an effort in to working on a good itinerary.

I can't see any major problems as long as you don't mind a relatively fast pace of travel.

Are you travelling 2013 or 2012?

I'm thinking of purchasing a 21 days JR pass to be used from 16/11 to 6/12.

Sounds fine

Is it difficult to reserve Nobi Nobi seats on sleeper train? Does JR pass cost the cost?

Yes it may be. Try and do it as soon as you arrive in Japan and exchange your voucher for the actual JR Pass. Note that you can set the activation date when you exchange and you can start booking straight away. So, you can exchange on 13/11, specify 16/11 as activation date, and make bookings for Sunrise Seto, all on your first day 13/11 in Tokyo.

I hope we can catch some nice autumn colour on this trip!

Obviously too hard to predict at this early stage. I suspect that your Kyoto portion may be a little early but it will really depend on the weather. Perhaps allow for a day in Kyoto on the way back to Tokyo. To be honest I think this would break up the journey from Nagasaki back to Tokyo nicely.

Alternatively, even though it involves back-tracking a little, I'd consider going Kanazawa - Hiroshima - Miyajima - Osaka - Koyasan - Kyoto - Beppu. Just to move Kyoto a little later in the month.

I'd skip Himeji if it is still under renovation and consider Hikone Castle instead, easy half day trip from Kyoto.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7000.html

Also, book your Kyoto accommodation well in advance as it will get booked out during that peak period.

I'd highly recommend the temple market at Kitano Tenmangu shrine on 25/11
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3939.html

Any thoughts or suggestions on our itinerary would be greatly appreciated! Its our first major holiday and first time to Japan, I hope the itinerary is feasible.

Looks really good. Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: 30 days Itinerary - first time in Japan 2012/3/30 00:20
Thanks so much for the reply!
We will be traveling nov- dec this year, only 8 months to go :)
Thanks for the tips about the Jr pass and reservation, we will exchange for the pass as soon as we get to Tokyo.

The temple market at Kitano Tenmangu shrine sounds awesome, We will definitely pay a visit.
I may wait till jun/July before booking the accommodation for Kyoto, maybe the autumn colour forecast will be out ;) then we can change the dates around if it's delayed.

Again, thank you so much for the reply!
by 1337yang rate this post as useful

reply to this thread