Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

buying tickets while transiting 2012/3/30 11:01
Hi there,

I have been sourcing for guides and info from this wonderful site for my upcoming trip to tokyo this June! Its very exciting and i have completed most of the planning.

However, I have a small question with regards to the ticket buying at train stations.

Say for example in the link below from hyperdia, the second route (Route 2) from Shinjuku to Yokohama whereby

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=SHINJUKU(JR)&ar...

Shinjuku to Shibuya by JR Yamanote Line for transit and then
Shibuya to Yokohama by Tokyu toyoko line

As the resutl shows,
Shinjuku to Shibuya cost 150yen
Shibuya to Yokohama cost 160 yen

My question is while at transit at Shibuya station, do i need to exit Shibuya station physically first go buy the ticket of Shibuya to Yokohama and enter Shibuya station gate again?

Thanks in advance!
Chee Keeng
by Chee Keeng (guest)  

Re: buying tickets while transiting 2012/3/30 13:55
Yes, you need to exit JR Shibuya Station, buy the Tokyu ticket and then enter the Tokyu Shibuya Station. The stations are located in the same building complex.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: buying tickets while transiting 2012/3/30 14:01
Hi Uji,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I guess to avoid the hassle i will just buy a suica to just tap in and out for my entire trip. much more convenient and time saving than to go to the ticketing machine for tickets. Need to save time for transiting to another platform so as not to miss the train :)

Chee Keeng
by Chee Keeng (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Just to add 2012/3/30 14:42
Suica or Pasmo prepaid card will come in handy, that is true.

But note that the reason you need to exit the station is because "JR" and "Tokyu" are separate railway companies, so that's why you need to buy tickets. (This is more than just changing platforms, but changing to another railway company altogether.)

At JR Shinjuku station, at the vending machine if you find the button for "connecting tickets", you might be able to buy one ticket (one piece of paper) that covers the whole trip, spanning both rail companies. But you still need to exit the "JR" station at Shibuya and enter "Tokyu" station (which are right next to each other).

If you are changing from one JR line to another JR line (the same railway company), you just move from one platform to another, without needing to leave the whole station or having to buy another ticket.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: buying tickets while transiting 2012/3/30 19:21
Thanks so much for the clarifications and info. That is the last piece of puzzle i need.

Chee Keeng
by Chee Keeng (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: buying tickets while transiting 2012/3/30 21:16
There is also a direct train on JR shonan shinjuku line with will go from shinjuku to yokohama directly. Save time needed for transfer and cost too.It'll always be more expensive using 2 companies instead of 1.
by Oui (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: buying tickets while transiting 2012/3/30 22:40
Since people talking about this and I have similar case
Mind if I'm asking too?

Shinjuku-Shibuya
Is it possible to use Suica for this case?
tap at the shinjuku entrace gate then tab again at SHibuya exit gate
then I enter the entrace gate and tab the suica again and tab again at Yokohama exit gate

Is it possible? SO I don't need to buy the ticket.

Please kindly tell me
thank you
by goro (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread