Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggested itinerary for trip with kids 2012/3/30 12:56
Hi,

My family is arriving at Tokyo on Sat morning 8am. I'm travelling with 2 children (5 and 8 yrs old).

We plan to be in Tokyo for 8 days, but havent decided on the itinerary yet. At the moment, we'd like to do a day-trip to Hakone and spend 2 days in Disneyland. Other ideas include Tokyo Tower and the Transportation Museum.

Is there anything I should consider in terms of dates, e.g. avoiding disneyland on the weekend? I also don't know if I should stay in one of the disneyland hotels for 2 nights. I've heard it's quite far from Shinjuku, and staying at the resort gets me 2 free adult tickets.

Is Hakone doable for a day trip? I'd like to cover the pirate ship cruise and cable car. If there's time, maybe the open air museum. I don't think my kids would enjoy staying a night at an onsen/ryokan, and I also want to minimize the hassle of changing hotels.

Many thanks for your help!
by Alfred (guest)  

Re: Suggested itinerary for trip with kids 2012/3/30 13:35
The transportation museum was closed several years ago. There is now a specular railway museum in Omiya south of Tokyo:
http://www.railway-museum.jp/en/

Is there anything I should consider in terms of dates, e.g. avoiding disneyland on the weekend?

Yes, Disneyland is much less crowded on regular weekdays. The railway museum, Tokyo Tower and Hakone, too.

I also don't know if I should stay in one of the disneyland hotels for 2 nights. I've heard it's quite far from Shinjuku, and staying at the resort gets me 2 free adult tickets.

Staying at a hotel does not automatically get you tickets. You would have to buy a package that includes such tickets. If your budget allows, I definitely recommend to stay at the resort. My favorite is the Miracosta, which stands partially inside DisneySea.

Is Hakone doable for a day trip?

Yes, it can be done. I recommend weekdays over weekends.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Suggested itinerary for trip with kids 2012/3/30 13:49
I would suggest the Ueno, just a short walk from the Ueno station and it will kill a whole day, if not come close
by Matthew (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggested itinerary for trip with kids 2012/3/30 13:52
oh, and another thing we did was go to the (http://www.seaparadise.co.jp/english/)its a hours or so train ride south of tokyo. they do a great show
by matthew (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggested itinerary for trip with kids 2012/3/30 19:56
If you have girls, Sanrio Puroland (Hello Kitty) may be a good choice.It's an indoor venue.

In Shinjuku, visit the Tokyo Metropolitan Govt - 45th floor Observation (free admission)
by Gene (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggested itinerary for trip with kids 2012/3/30 20:26
Try Tokyo Dome City. Has a little of everything for everyone. Admission is reasonable and they close late.

http://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/e/
by Gene (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggested itinerary for trip with kids 2012/3/31 09:29
Are you fans of Ghibli films? If so the Ghibli Museum at Mitaka is awesome for kids (and adults).

I would not stay at a Disney hotel if I was already at Shinjuku.

Hotel door to ticket booth at Disney takes me an hour on the metro incl walk to and from stations from Ikebukuro.

Ueno Zoo is enjoyed by our kids, as is the toy shop at Ueno called Yamashiroya.

There is the aquarium and shopping at Sunshine City.

And all the fun things to do at Odaiba.

Also, if your children love Pokemon then I would take them to the Pokecentre in Tokyo (it was a circle of parenting hell for me with the repetitive music and no seat to sit on but my boys thought it was heaven).

Have a look on this site you'll end up having to cut down on fun things rather than wonder what to do.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread