Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

5 week itinerary Japan 2024/4/30 00:15
Hi,

I am planning an almost 5-week in solo trip to Japan in July / August and have made the following itinerary.

This is my first trip to Japan and would rather stick to Honshu. Is there "must see" place that you think I am missing? Or is there any place I am staying that I should skip (I notably think about Nagano or Matsumoto). It being specified that I would like to get "off the beaten tracks" rather than sticking to the usual Tokyo / Kyoto / Osaka itinerary.

My itinerary sometimes seems to lack logic (e.g., Nara at the end whereas it could be done together with Osaka). This is mainly because I tried to adjust my itinerary to some festivals in order not to miss them.

Thanks a lot and of course I am very open to any tips for solo travelers to Japan :)

- Tokyo (7 days)
- Nagano (1 day)
- Shibu Onsen (1 day)
- Naraï / Magome-juku / Tsumago-juku (2 days)
- Kyoto (6 days)
- Osaka (3 days)
- Koyasan (2 days)
- Wakayama (Yunomine Onsen, Oyunohara, Nachi Falls) (3 days)
- Onomichi / Shinamani Kaido (2 days)
- Hiroshima (2days)
- Nara (2 days)
- Tokyo (2 days)
by PaulChn (guest)  

Re: 5 week itinerary Japan 2024/4/30 09:31
I haven't actually done it, but if you're not used to the Japanese summer, I don't recommend cycling around Shinamani Kaido at this time of year.
There is a risk of heatstroke.
The humidity is high and the temperature is hot in summer in Japan.
It might be included in the schedule, but I think it would be good to make a day trip from Tokyo to Nikko, Kamakura or Hakone.
It is better to stay in Nikko if possible.
It's cooler than Tokyo, so it's easy to go sightseeing.
Nagano Prefecture is also cooler than Tokyo.
High places are also cool, so it's good for sightseeing in summer (Kamikochi, Kurobetateyama Alpine Route, etc., although there are many tourists and I think the price of accommodation is high).
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: 5 week itinerary Japan 2024/4/30 12:39
I would concur with the above that July & August can be miserably hot and humid - Nagano can be a big relief. I suggest you pull a day off of Tokyo and add it to Nagano. Matsumoto & Nagano City have some very good sights, or you could see Karuizawa which is a nice getaway from the heat.
https://goo.gl/jshPWy

For Kansai, you might split a day to see both Nara and Uji, plus you can take a day off of Osaka to go see Himeji & Kobe (evenings in Osaka are the best). For Koyasan, you really don't need 2 nights - one is enough. Do not miss Okunoin though no matter what.
You also might take a day or 2 for some trips from Tokyo, like Nikko, the Fuji 5 Lakes, etc.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 week itinerary Japan 2024/4/30 15:21
We Love hiroshima. 2 Days in Hiroshima:
Hiroden 1 day pass =700 yen
Astram railway 1 day pass =950 yen

You must eat food while you are in hiroshima
Unlimited all you can eat sweets paradise
Buffet 70 minutes =1490 yen

Stay
Sejour inn capsule hiroshima =2800 yen per night include free breakfast
by MR Modi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 week itinerary Japan 2024/4/30 19:10
I hope you are okay with humid heat. If you are, go ahead.

With a 5 week itinerary frankly I would keep it flexible. Book maybe the first week and some accommodations for special festivals you want to go to, but keep the rest open and arrange once you are here by looking at weather and your mood.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 5 week itinerary Japan 2024/4/30 20:07
Thank you all for your very useful answers!

Indeed, I had planned a day trip to Nikko from Tokyo.

With respect to biking in July/August, I had the same concern - I am very used to bike (even when it's more than 30 degrees in Paris), but I know the wheather is way more humid in Japan as compared to France. I think I will see when I will be there depending on how I feel it - I understand that it is possible to rent electric bikes in Onomichi which would make the journey much more convenient.

Regarding the heat / humidity, I have traveled other very hot countries (e.g., survived almost 50 degrees in Arizona last year), and will be prepared for it. Usually I am quite resistant to hot temperatures (I acually can complain about being cold when it's 25 degrees). Hopefully, I can wear light clothes (such as short / t-shirts) without it being seen as rude by locals.

Thank you all!
by PaulChn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 week itinerary Japan 2024/4/30 21:05
Sure, short and t-shirt are totally acceptable in Japan.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 5 week itinerary Japan 2024/4/30 21:28
Hello,

first of all, Tokyo 7 days is fine, you should include during this 7 days a side trip to Kamakura for 1 day and also to Nikko 1 day. Since you are also staying the last 2 days consider also a side trip to Hakone if you like onsen areas.

Kyoto 6 days for me is too much, I think 4 days is fine for a slow pace travel, although can be done in 3.

Osaka 3 days too much I would not spend more than 1 day there or if you are tight on schedule just skip it and go there at afternoon from Kyoto a couple of afternoons to see Shin Sekai area and Dotombori.

Shimanami Kaido in 2 days is fine but it's too hot and humid in summer, I would not do it.

Hiroshima 2 days is fine to see Hiroshima and Miyajima island at a relaxed pace

Nara just one day is fine from Kyoto.

So basically from my feedback you can take out at least 2 days in Kyoto, 2 days in Osaka and 1 day in Nara for a total of 5 days, out of those 5 days I would recommend you fit in your schedule, 1 day Takayama, half day Shirakawa-go and 1 day and a half Kanazawa and 1 day in Kobe and half day Himeji and there's still half day of the Himeji day where you can go back to Osaka and explore.
by Peter1986 rate this post as useful

Re: 5 week itinerary Japan 2024/5/1 19:03
It was very hot and humid in Japan when we were there last September. We rented electric bikes for a day and it was a big relief. The wind as you cycle kept us much cooler tan when walking. As long as you arenft slogging up big hills and sweating heaps it may be alright. Just make sure you drink plenty of water.
by Anita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread