Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

8 hour layover in Haneda 2024/5/3 00:58
Hello! I have an 8 hour layover in Haneda airport from 5PM to 1AM.

I'm Canadian, and don't need to worry about a Visa. I am looking to leave the airport for 4-5 hours (assuming it will take 1 hour to exit the airport and I want to be back by 11 PM).

Given the short amount of time, I probably only want to visit 1-2 areas. I'm looking to walk around to see some of Tokyo, and eat. I was considering the Shibuya and Shinjuku area?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
by HiImCass (guest)  

Re: 8 hour layover in Haneda 2024/5/4 18:03
Perhaps you could take the Tokyo Monorail from Haneda, arriving at its terminus Hamamatsucho Station, where there are plenty options for restaurants. From there you could walk to the Zojoji temple and Tokyo Tower, enjoying the night view either from there or from the observation deck of the World Trade Centre Bldg., which is right next to the Hamamatsucho Sta.
by hikooki rate this post as useful

Re: 8 hour layover in Haneda 2024/5/5 03:02
You can consider Tokyo monorail 1 day pass= 1100 yen,now you will get on,get off unlimite d time and see what tokyo has to offer
by Bibi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 hour layover in Haneda 2024/5/5 03:26
@Bibi, why? Why do you post such advise that has no utility. A one way ticket Haneda to Hamamatsucho is 519 Yen. What do you suggest that the OP visits in between Haneda and Hamamatsucho that would make this pass worthwhile???? For someone with only a few hours to spare I canft see that any of the intermediate stations hold any interest.

To OP I do agree with the other PP that going to Hamamatsucho and visiting the points she/he suggested is a good idea
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 8 hour layover in Haneda 2024/5/15 22:19
I think Shibuya would be an excellent plan for a few hours in the evening. Shinjuku + Shibuya is a little bit too much.

I'd suggest Shibuya over Shinjuku since it's closer to the airport.
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: 8 hour layover in Haneda 2024/5/16 00:50
Well, I don't think anyone needs to add 4 question marks against the Tokyo Monorail 1 Day Pass. It allows you to visit places like Tennoz Isle while enjoying the scenic Monorail ride itself.

But since the OP seems to be interested, yes, Shibuya is easy to access from Haneda by (rather than the Monorail) the Keikyu train, changing to JR Yamanote Line at Shinagawa Station. 3 more stations and you'll reach Shinjuku. And I also think that Shibuya is better than Shinjuku, because it's big enough but smaller than Shinjuku.

In fact, Keikyu itself is a very popular railway system among train lovers. Its over-ground trains take you throughout everyday towns, even extending onto Yokohama and further to beaches.

Also, the Keikyu-Kamata train station area also has a lot of reasonable restaurants and bars, and is only a 10-minute direct train ride from/to Haneda Airport.

So, an idea is to enjoy a train ride during the day when you can see the scenery, then visit Shibuya or Shinjuku, then finally Keikyu-Kamata where you'd feel safer being closer to the airport. Keikyu also has day passes. Ask at their Haneda Airport Station for details.
https://www.keikyu.co.jp/visit/otoku/

Note that Haneda Airport itself is quite popular with restaurants and stores, except that many would be closed by the time you get back.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: 8 hour layover in Haneda 2024/5/16 01:27
You can certainly walk around some places, and see some city night views. Many shops will close around 8 PM though, if you're thinking on going on a buying spree.
But walking around Shibuya Station at night can be quite an experience unto itself. Even on a weekday evening.
https://youtu.be/RXb8OnJFal4

You can go to the Tokyo Metro Gov't Bldg for a very nice city view (and free). Or have a drink and quick meal at Omoide Yokocho near Shinjuku Station for a slighty grotty Tokyo experience reminiscent of the 1970s.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread