Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

The difference between the sentences 2024/5/9 03:37
Hello! Could someone explain to me the difference between the word Muron 無論 and Tōzendesho 当然でしょ? As far as I know they both mean "of course", but I'm not sure which one is better to use in casual conversation.
Thanks.
by Mizu (guest)  

Re: The difference between the sentences 2024/5/9 12:29
Hi again, M!

The simple answer is that tozen is more casual, and muron is more formal. Not necessarily in terms of politeness, but in terms of how stiff or refined they sound. So for casual conversations, tozen will usually sound much more natural. If I was talking to a close friend and they said "muron," it wouldn't be shockig or weird, but I'd expect that they were either about to shift to a more serious statement, or that they were speaking in a formal way for the sake of humor.

by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The difference between the sentences 2024/5/9 14:33
無論 appears mostly in writing, and it will sound old-fashioned when it appears in conversations in novels.
Instead of that, in conversation I would use もちろん.
Both have the sense of “needless to say, it is.” Or “needless even to argue that point, it certainly/definitely is.” “It obviously is so.”

当然 or 当然です also means of course, in the “that’s the logical conclusion.”

当然でしょ? might, depending on how it is said, can have “you should know that!” “Don’t tell me you didn’t know that” kinda nuance.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: The difference between the sentences 2024/5/9 14:42
"of course" is probably もちろん.
無論 and 当然 may not be used in many cases. actually, I will not use them.
fore example, if a man has a girlfriend and he uses 無論 and 当然 often in conversation. she (intellectual girl) will stop dating.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The difference between the sentences 2024/5/9 16:14
To show approval toward what someone says,
in most cases,
「もちろん」 would be more suitable than 「当然」.

AK:
当然でしょ? might, depending on how it is said, can have “you should know that!” “Don’t tell me you didn’t know that” kinda nuance.

I agree.
「当然」 can convey explicitly speaker's view or will,
therefore it may sound derogatory.

In conversation, I won't use 「無論」.

「無論」 works like the English phrases
"As a matter of course" and "Needless to say",
usually at the begging of a sentence.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: The difference between the sentences 2024/5/9 17:41
Thank you for all your responses!
After reading what you have written, I know that 無論 is not the best choice, so it is better to stay with 当然でしょ.
by Mizu (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread