Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice on travel destinations 2015/4/3 16:26
Hey all,

Me and my partner will be staying in a Japan for 2 weeks in May. We are spending the first week in Tokyo visiting the surrounding areas. Then i'm planning to go to Osaka/Kyoto and Shirakawago/Takayame (trying to make the most of the expensive JR pass!!).

The ideal plan is to spend 2 days Osaka with one day in Kyoto and the rest filled in with Shirakawago/Takayame (S/T for short) then head back to Tokyo for the remaining 2 days as our hotel package is there and leaving from Hanada airport.

Just wondering if that's a good itinerary? I think Osaka and Kyoto isn't a problem 2/3 days there should suffice, right? it's just the second part S/T that I am unsure of. I really want to experience Gassho-Zukuri in Shirakawago but read from forums that you can explore the majority of it in a few hours, so is it worth spending another 7000+ yen for that experience alone? whilst Takayame has just peaked my interest with its old style town and village. Can S/T be done in 2 days? or am I being over ambitious about my travelling plans?

Would it be more cost effective to book one of the package tour/deals: www.isitetakayama.com/en_2days1night.html

Rather than making our own way there and using public transport? If i did plan S/T by myself (accommodation + transport) would it have to be meticulous planned?

So many questions and sorry for the rambling. But bottom line is:

1. Is Osaka and Kyoto do-able in 2/3 days? or is it too long?

2. Is Shirakawa and Takayame a must go? or would the surrounding areas be just as good in terms of cost and time effectiveness.

Thank you in advance for any replies and advice. Have been so stressed planning this trip =(
by chungie  

Re: Advice on travel destinations 2015/4/3 19:35
If you already spend a long time in Tokyo, it is less important to visit Osaka, IMO, it is just another enormous city; dependent on your interest in old temples ,etc, a few days in Kyoto would be enough. Instead of Osaka, I would continue and visit Hiroshima and pop over to Miyajima which is a bit of a tourist trap but I think it will leave more of an impression than Osaka. And then I would certainly add a rural destination to your itinerary as it is so different from the big cities. I think these days everybody visits Takayama, or alternatively, for a great experience add a temple stay in Koyasan or, even better, at Taiyoji: http://monochrome.me.uk/taiyoji/shukubo_en.html

I never have used organized travel in Japan and for many years I travelled alone and made train and hotel reservations a few days in advance by just dropping in on a JR travel agency. Having said that, these days I can plan better in advance and make reservations via sites like rakuten, etc. in advance as it saves me money.
by JIm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on travel destinations 2015/4/3 20:27
I agree that there's not much to see in Osaka if you've already done Tokyo. I spent two days there, one of them at USJ, and felt that was enough. Regarding Kyoto, I spent four days there which was just enough to see everything major (can take a while to get around since buses are the main public transport to the tourist sights, which are mostly on the outskirts). I'd spend the majority of your 2/3 days in Kyoto; you could pop over to Osaka in the evenings in you want (it's not far by train).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on travel destinations 2015/4/5 13:33
Thanks for both of your replies. sorry the I'm a bit slowing in replying but your input is appreciated.

Yes I have heard Osaka is very similar to Tokyo, albeit with more food and flashing signs. I will defiantly consider staying in Kyoto rather than Osaka now that I know Kyoto does take 2/3 days to explore. I do like my temples and exploring a different culture although coming from a Chinese background we share a similar culture and traditions. But nevertheless I do like Japanese culture a lot.

I have heard Hiroshima/Miyajima and the surrounding islands are very popular destination for tourists, and I am interested in visiting there. However I understand that they are currently doing renovation work for the Peace Memorial Museum, so that might impact my choice. I think it's possible to do a day trip there from Kyoto via bullet train?
by chungie rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on travel destinations 2015/4/5 14:29
The work being done is to the A-dome building, not the Peace Museum. They have scaffolding surrounding the entire structure, so the visual impact is lessened to a point. One can still see it though.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on travel destinations 2015/4/5 15:08
I thought that the dome was the most significant part of the Peace Park experience. It kind of put it all together. If I was asked, I'd suggest putting Hiroshima off until another trip when it isnt under wraps.

There are plenty of other places which would be nice for a night or so instead, eg Hakone, Kamakura, or Nara, if you would like somewhere popular with tourists. Kamikouchi is very nice, and is pretty close to Takayama so you could go from Takayama to Kamikouchi then to Matsumoto for the castle and back to Tokyo from there.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on travel destinations 2015/4/5 16:37
Part of the museum is currently being renovated. The renovations will be in two stages: from September 2014 to spring 2016 the east building will be closed, followed by the closure of the main building until spring 2018. I haven't been myself since the beginning of the renovation works, but I am pretty sure it is still worth a visit.

The A-Dome is currently covered up for inspections. They inspect what measures have to be taken in order for it to be preserved. Actual construction works with the aim to preserve the building will likely follow afterwards; but I would expect the scaffolding to come off once in between. The building just turned 100 year old today!

I personally always considered the visit to the museum to be the most significant part of a visit to the peace park.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on travel destinations 2015/4/9 18:42
Re Shirakawa: I agree that you can see it in a few hours. However I'd also say that staying overnight is a really memorable experience, so maybe try and arrive there an hour before sunset and then get the early bus out the next morning to fit all the best of it into the least time?
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread