Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Luggage in Trains 2015/7/8 18:38
I've read thru the managing luggage section and also searched online but couldnt find what i'd like to know regarding suitcases in trains in Kyushu

Planning on using the JR Kyushu 5 day Northern pass to ride on the various interesting looking trains. I did go on the JR Kyushu website to the FAQ on suitcase space & check out the interior for suitcase space.
but only the Yufuin no Mori has suitcase space but all the others dont. These themed trains look amazing, and i would not be comfortable having my huge suitcase obstructing everyones way.
My trip will only be to Kyushu in November for 12 days to catch some autumn views and am travelling with my elderly mom.

My final destination before flying off from Hakata i'd like to spend 3-4 days in Nagasaki so i'm sort of confused with the thought of lugging the suitcases around .
Hope you'll be able to advise when you have the time.

Thanks very much,
Jasmine
by ammut  

Re: Luggage in Trains 2015/7/9 14:37
Luggage space depends on the train. The gray Intercity Express (former Tsubame) has a luggage rack in the middle of each car. There is also space behind the last seat of the expresses which is easier to use with a large suitcase than the overhead luggage racks which aren't very good for wide objects anyway. The local trains just have open space that you have to find. If I sit at the end of a long bench on a local, there's a bit of space between the end of the bench on the outside of the arm rail and the door where I can hold a suitcase in place. If it's crowed, your suitcase will just be a pain on a local, although the end cars sometimes have extra open space behind the driver's cab.

A solution is to just pick a few base areas where you take day trips on the trains such as your Nagasaki stay at the end. That way, you could leave your luggage at the hotel and just take a day pack with you on the train to your day trip destinations. That way you would only have to carry your luggage between base areas. Fukuoka would make the best for northern Kyushu, with Beppu and Kumamoto as a couple of others. Another solution is to use the Takkyubin luggage forwarding service to send your main luggage from one hotel to the next. The front desk at any hotel in Japan is used to this service as the Japanese use it as a matter of course if they have something large.
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/send/ta_q_bin/
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage in Trains 2015/7/9 14:55
We've used the Sonic in Kyushu before and there was always enough space. If you use the green car they have a bit more storage, but we didn't notice any of the other western tourists having problems.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage in Trains 2015/7/9 18:20
Thanks so much Anaguma & JapanCustomTours for your replies and suggestions.
I think your right Anaguma, it's best just pick one or 2 base area, leave my huge luggage there and bring along with me just a medium sized bagpack at least then i dont have to worry about my suitcase & am able to enjoy the train rides & holiday without having to worry :)

by ammut rate this post as useful

reply to this thread