Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima + Miyajima in a day 2015/9/15 05:51
Hi all,

I'm currently planning my visit for November and wondering if the below is too rushed? Planning Hiroshima in the AM and Miyajima in the PM. See below and thanks in advance!

----------------------------------------------

Planning to arrive around 5pm in Hiroshima, go for a nice dinner and explore the Nagarekawacho district.

1) Any recommendations on must do at night? or in Nagarekawacho?

Next morning, go to the below when they open at 8:30:
- Peace Museum
- Peace Memorial Park
- Cenotaph
- Children's Peace Monument
- Atomic Bomb Dome

2a) Is there a preferred order I should visit the above?
2b) How long would the above take? Wondering if I would have time to also hit the Hiroshima Castle or the Shukkei-en Garden before lunch?
2c) If I can only pick one, which would be the better choice? (Keep in mind It's November and the leaves should be gorgeous :)

I'm hoping to be able to catch the 13:05 train from Hondori out to Miyajimaguchi, and arrive in Miyajima by 14:05.

Considering shrine and ropeway are closing at 17:00 and sunset is at 17:04, will I have enough time to cover the following? We are spending the night at Iwaso (on the island) but not sure what is open after 17:00.

- Mount Misen via Ropeway
- Itsukushima Shrine
- Daisho-in Temple
- walk along Yamabe Alley looking down at the Torii at sunset (is this route doable or worth doing after sunset?)

3) How long do people typically need at Mount Misen? How long is the ride up via ropeway?
4) Anything else I should consider covering?

Thanks.
by Patsy (guest)  

Re: Hiroshima + Miyajima in a day 2015/9/15 12:09
You can do the Peace Park area in 3 hours, 4 if you're taking it slow. It's not that large of an area and the Museum can take about 1-1.5 hours. That'll give you plenty of time to get to Miyajima.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima + Miyajima in a day 2015/9/15 12:16
We are doing almost the same thing, but after factoring in travel times we decided to spilt up Miyajima and Peace Park.

We will tackle Miyajima in one day, then before leaving for Kyoto we will spend the morming in Peace Park.

I believe is is possible to do what you suggest, but with travel time/walking time, you will have to really move the whole time.

If your goal is to say "been there/ done that" your fine, but if you plan on actually reading anything or reflecting on the incredible sights of Itsukashima / miyajima or Genbaku dome, your will need more time.
by Will Lazarus rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima + Miyajima in a day 2015/9/15 12:25
I am planing to do something similar, but a little diferent.
I will arrive Hiroshima early morning, visit Peace Park and Museum taking my time, and then follow to Miyajima, where I will spend a night at Ryokan.
If possible, I will do all the sightseing in Myiajima the same day; if not, I will complete it the next day morning.
From there, I will depart to Osaka. Time permiting, I will stop at Himeji. If not, Himeji will be visited the next day.
by Sergio (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima + Miyajima in a day 2015/9/15 13:47
Yah, we are staying overnight at Miyajima (at Iwaso) as we'd like to see the Torii lit up at night as well. Just hoping 2pm to 5pm is enough to cover the shrines and Mt Misen.

We are meeting a friend at Himeji the next day so pretty much have to leave after breakfast at the ryokan.
by Patsy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima + Miyajima in a day 2015/9/15 14:27
If you get off the street car at Genbakucho-domu Mae (the dome), you just do everything in the opposite order you have written down to the museum. I let the students take their time and we usually finish after just a couple of hours. We then walk back through the arcade, stopping at the cemetery with the heat pitting on the tombstones and the epicenter marker by the hospital before having lunch at a okonomiyaki restaurant. We then get on the JR train to Miyajima-guchi, check out the shrine and pagoda area before hiking up to the Mt. Misen cable cars. We don't worry about the 5PM closing of the cable car as we hike back down through Momiji-dani, right past the Iwaso ryokan. We then wait for the lights to come on, then head down the souvenir street that's not as crowded as earlier in the day, take the ferry back and ride back into Hiroshima to our hotel.

If you are staying at the Iwaso Ryokan, you could just inform them that you would like a later dinner (7PM?) which would give you time to go up Mt. Misen on the cable car 1-way and then hike down without worrying about the 5 PM closing. You could have dinner at the ryokan and then go down to the shrine to see it lit up.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread